I've been throttled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've been throttled

I looked at my connection speed recently and noticed a slight drop from 10Mbps down to 2.7Mbps. Naturally I called up the cable company to ask about this. When the discussion first started off, I was told that they were throttling at peak periods because P2P sharing drains their system too much. When I pointed out that they should be throttling upload speed and not download speed and that it was all day the story then changed again to that only people who use news servers and P2P are being throttled and only at peak times. By the end of the conversation it had turned into that my speed is now permanently throttled at all hours indefinitely. Now, I don't really download all THAT much. There are people that download far more than me, and he said that only people using news servers and P2P are being throttled. Which leads me to the conclusion that anyone who uses their broadband for what it's supposed to be used for (downloading) will be throttled. Which then leads me to the conclusion that the cable company isn't really offering 10Mbits. Basically you'll get 10Mbits if you just surf the internet...and we know how much surfing the internet taxes a connection. So now they can say they're offering super high speeds when in reality they're not. Anyone else been throttled?

You're a tool.

Comment

Somehow, coming from you, that doesn't really affect me.

Also, I might add, I've only ever maxed out the download speed a few times. I normally download between 100K/sec and 200K/sec anyway so it's not like I'm missing the speed. It's a matter of principle. If using 1/5th of my max speed a few times a day taxes their system too much then they were never offering 10Mbits in the first place. It's misrepresentation, and of course, they have themselves covered on the contract saying they can offer whatever they want. It's bullsht.

Comment

Sometimes I feel compelled to throttle you too
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I'm waiting for Verizon FiOS to be offered in my area. At 5Mbps for 39.99, it will be faster and cheaper than Road Runner. Also, they basically shut off access to the newserver. it was damn slow to begin with, but at least you could download stuff. Now, it runs at 15K/sec and has super long pauses between commands or just times out sometimes. So basically all you can do is read text...and slowly at that. What the **** am I paying almost 50 bucks a month for? What a joke.

Comment

I have no idea how to check my connection speed.

Comment

Originally posted by EyesOfNight
              Somehow, coming from you, that doesn't really affect me.
              That's because you're also completely oblivious. (The two go hand-in-hand, really.)

Comment

I think it's more the fact that you're so far beneath me anything you say has a hard time reaching me. Don't get me wrong Kuci, I'm not calling you an idiot or something, I'm simply pointing out your inferiority and it's really nothing to be ashamed of. We all move at our own speed, even if yours is admittedly a little slower than the average.

Comment

eyesofnight was once a jenny jones guest.
                  "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                  'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

I think that you're being weaned from their network, Eyes.
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by EyesOfNight
                      I think it's more the fact that you're so far beneath me anything you say has a hard time reaching me. Don't get me wrong Kuci, I'm not calling you an idiot or something, I'm simply pointing out your inferiority and it's really nothing to be ashamed of. We all move at our own speed, even if yours is admittedly a little slower than the average.
                      I'm one of the last people here you should be saying that to, kid

Comment

kuci has kid, krazyhorse has son...

i love it.
                        "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                        'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Actually Eyes highlights a common problem.
                          People should read their contracts and see what is promised so if they start crap like this you can call the out on it. A buddy of mine had this happen and he complained and threatened to sue, and all of a sudden he was getting what he was promised.
                          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

The thing that is most amusing is that I was downloading the same amount on my 768K verizon connection each week for 14.99 a month. The total amount that I download hasn't really changed, just how long it takes me. Also, I'm not even downloading usually during peak hours. In fact, most the time I just let it run during the night. Basically what they're saying is that anyone who uses their broadband for downloading will be throttled. What a crazy idea to use your broadband connection for downloading. Verizon FiOS can't get here soon enough.

Oh and I told them I would be looking into Verizon and the guy on the phone said good luck with that. I guess Brighthouse is so incredibly successful that they can afford to get rid of customers easily.

Comment

If it's 10 Mbps burst speed then yeah, it's pretty crazy to DL 100MB+ at that speed.

Comment

Working...
                              X