No announcement yet.

Chinese Vice Premier Huang Ju has died at 68, state media report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's covered in "Mao: The Untold Story." However, I don't have a copy of the book with me, so I can't give the exact source that it references.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Ummm... do you have a more... academic source to point to? Maybe it's just a function of the academics that I've come into contact with around the northeast of America, but they all seem to have given the book almost no credit as a scholarly work.
      Who wants DVDs? Good prices! I swear!

Comment

What do you want, the National Enquirer?
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Yes, yes I would.

Comment

DaShi! Cough it up, buddy!
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

This has a definite similarity to a certain sketch by a certain comedy duo...

1: Hu's in office.
              2: I don't know, who?
              1: That's what I'm telling you, Hu is in office.
              2: Who?
              1: That's right.
              2: What's right?
              1: Hu.
              1: Hu's in office cause he killed Ju
              2: Oh, so He's a nazi bastard?!
              1: No Ju was in office before Hu.
              2: You're not making any sense so I am going to push you out of a helicopter
              Monkey!!!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Mao
                  Ummm... do you have a more... academic source to point to? Maybe it's just a function of the academics that I've come into contact with around the northeast of America, but they all seem to have given the book almost no credit as a scholarly work.
                  I don't, as I said. You can check with the source that the book quotes. As of now, the book is debatable (what isn't) as because of the controversy surrounding Mao accurate information has been difficult to obtain. However, the biggest complaint among scholars about the book does not concern it's accuracy, but it's negative and harsh tone that prevents it from being considered a scholarly work.
                  “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Do they call him a punkass bastard or something?
                    Does accuracy negate scholarly? Enquiring minds want to know.

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
                      This has a definite similarity to a certain sketch by a certain comedy duo...

1: Hu's in office.
                      2: I don't know, who?
                      1: That's what I'm telling you, Hu is in office.
                      1: That's right.
                      2: What's right?
                      1: Hu.
                      1: Hu's in office cause he killed Ju
                      2: Oh, so He's a nazi bastard?!
                      1: No Ju was in office before Hu.
                      2: You're not making any sense so I am going to push you out of a helicopter
                      He who knows others is wise.
                      He who knows himself is enlightened.
                      -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                        Do they call him a punkass bastard or something?
                        More or less. The book focuses specifically on the horrible actions committed by Mao and generally ignores any good he's done, directly or indirectly. It's unfortunate that they took such a stance, because there is a lot of information in the book that has been revealed through official documents that reveals a lot behind the communist propaganda. However, it's tone has opened the door to critics who'd rather argue about how it wholly negatively portrays Mao while ignoring it's historical significance. Even the book by Mao doctor faced such criticism despite the lack of vitriol in its tone. For some it's hard to believe that Mao was indeed a bad person. But with nearly 50 years of pro-Mao propaganda coming out of China, it's no surprise. Just look at the resistance in the US when the darker sides of popular US presidents are revealed.

Does accuracy negate scholarly? Enquiring minds want to know.
                        I don't exactly understand your question, but I hope I covered it above.
                        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi

I don't, as I said. You can check with the source that the book quotes. As of now, the book is debatable (what isn't) as because of the controversy surrounding Mao accurate information has been difficult to obtain. However, the biggest complaint among scholars about the book does not concern it's accuracy, but it's negative and harsh tone that prevents it from being considered a scholarly work.
                          Yeah, maybe I'll try to get my hands on a copy of the book and look at the actual source, I'd be curious to find out. I think you're right about the main complaint among scholars, but there's also some complaint about its accuracy, particularly about its sources, some of which can't be substantiated.

Again, though, this is from what I understand from scholars in the field.

Comment

His family name is Huang. Chinese ALWAYS place family names first.

He is the last of Jiang Zemin's cronies. His death signals complete dominance of the current ruling clique.

Comment

Working...
                            X