No announcement yet.

First Chinese Aircraft Carrier - When?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think our approach is is more tactically sound, but like I said your approach is still cool
    "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

The UK is building 2 new proper carriers to replace our mini versions.

Our mini versions were designated as through deck cruisers to get them past the government who wnated to get rid of all carriers
      Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
      Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos
        I think our approach is is more tactically sound, but like I said your approach is still cool

Only actual combat can answer the question which approach is the best.

EDITED:

I don't claim our aproach is better. Afterall you have much more experience with a naval aviation. But this happens sometimes - Brits invented first tanks, but Germans had their own vision of panzer forces, which combat proved to be more effective. Brits made the first Dreadnought, but your Iowa class (which was a symbiosis of a battleship and a battlecruiser) became a perfection of a battleship evolution. Your aproach has won, though they had more experience (probably experience is not a proper word here, they had more time for experimenting).
        Last edited by Serb; May 21, 2007, 14:27.

Comment

Time, place
          "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Have patience. The time will come.

Comment

Serb

Comment

I wish I was wrong

But we will never surrender!
                Attached Files

Comment

The Iowa battleship ( and other advanced types of ww2 such as Bismark and the British KG V class) whilst the height of technical advancment was still strictly speaking obsolete because of the advances in naval aviation
                  Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.

Comment

Originally posted by TheStinger
                    The UK is building 2 new proper carriers to replace our mini versions.

Our mini versions were designated as through deck cruisers to get them past the government who wnated to get rid of all carriers
                    why would any government of the UK of all places want to get rid of any major naval asset much less some thing as critical as carriers?

Comment

I don't claim our aproach is better. Afterall you have much more experience with a naval aviation. But this happens sometimes - Brits invented first tanks, but Germans had their own vision of panzer forces, which combat proved to be more effective. Brits made the first Dreadnought, but your Jowa class (which was a symbiosis of a battleship and a battlecruiser) became a perfection of a battleship evolution. Your aproach has won, though they had more experience (probably experience is not a proper word here, they had more time for experimenting).

correct me if I am wrong, everybody, but IMHO, in a purely naval battle, with the advent of long range SS missiles, the original strength of the carrier ( taking shots at targets far beyond the horison) is basically negated by missiles, no?

it's in naval assault on land targets where the aircraft carrier keeps it's strength, as paths to target vary, etc...
                      urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Geronimo

why would any government of the UK of all places want to get rid of any major naval asset much less some thing as critical as carriers?
                        We were skint

Comment

If I have an aircraft that can fly out 300 miles, then launch an anti-ship missile another 80, then there is no shore/shipborne anti-ship missile that can beat that range.

Also, I can have an anti-ship missle with a 1000 mile range, doesn't matter because a shore or ship mounted surface search radar is only going to see max 30nm due to the curviture of the earth (though air search can see 250nm+). An airborne surface search radar can scan thousands of square miles at once, quickly (think soviet naval recon Bears in CW period). So no, aircraft are still the trump card in non littoral naval combat, and are very useful there as well.

And then there is the fact that most navies have jack **** when it comes to anti-air weapons, most still have decent SS missiles though.

This can be seen in current ship design. American destroyers have 7 real weapon systems, only one is considered offensive (the Harpoon because of its 80m range). The rest are considered defensive (one strike) becasue if you are engaging things that close something is already very wrong. New DDGs don't even have Harpoon though they add ESSM, another defensive weapon.

Comment

Also, I can have an anti-ship missle with a 1000 mile range, doesn't matter because a shore or ship mounted surface search radar is only going to see max 30nm

Comment

Or you could just nuke the entire armada and call it a day.
                              You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Can't shoot if you have no target. Though aircraft are very useful for relaying targeting data...

Comment

Working...
                                X