No announcement yet.

First Chinese Aircraft Carrier - When?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What keeps fascinating me about this whole affair is how some forms of knowledge are difficult to come by.

China has an enormous pool of good engineers and probably also naval architects. Aircraft carriers are WWII tech.

But still the Chinese go through all this trouble to get a built ship instead of trying from scratch. Boggles the mind.

Comment

It looks more like one of the British mini carriers.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

My hypotheses is that Chinese institutions are very punishing of individuals who make a mistake. Experimentation is probably dangerous and creativity is stiffled. So they keep copying stuff to cover their butts. I may be wrong but they copied the Soyuz, they copied Mig 21, they are copying a carrier now...

Come on Chinese, be original! Put a dragon head on the mast, let imagination work!

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion
          What keeps fascinating me about this whole affair is how some forms of knowledge are difficult to come by.

China has an enormous pool of good engineers and probably also naval architects. Aircraft carriers are WWII tech.

But still the Chinese go through all this trouble to get a built ship instead of trying from scratch. Boggles the mind.
          What is the need to invent a bicycle again, if someone already invented it? And an aircraft carrier is a bit more complicated than a bicycle.

Comment

Electromagnetic catapults

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
              It looks more like one of the British mini carriers.
              Russian designs are pretty unique.
              It's smaller than your Nimitz class, but it can take care of itself thanks to its enormous missile armament.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                Electromagnetic catapults
                Plasma guns

Comment

We're actually building the former

Comment

Originally posted by Serb

What is the need to invent a bicycle again, if someone already invented it? And an aircraft carrier is a bit more complicated than a bicycle.
                    It's a matter of national pride. If they could do it alone they would certainly have done it alone. It's puzzling to me why they can't.

Look how the French managed to build a fairly advanced one just to spite USA

Comment

It's a matter of national pride. If they could do it alone they would certainly have done it alone. It's puzzling to me why they can't.

Look how the French managed to build a fairly advanced one just to spite USA
                      French have experience, China doesn't. They have to start from somewhere. Copying of foreign technology, which you do not know is a very logical start. Give them time for experimenting and they will create they own, unique warships.

Comment

They would have to build a prototype and have a research program otherwise. This allows them to skip that step, as they already have a prototype. Unlike France or other such countries, they plan on building more than just one.

JM
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN
                        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                          We're actually building the former
                          Then you should start recruiting all availible crazy impotent pilots (strong electromagnetic feilds are bad for your balls).

Comment

Anyone serving on an cruiser with Aegis is exposed to more...

Comment

Unbelievable!

Comment

Az is right, the deck is curved to compensate for it's length. I believe first carriers also used that technique. I always thought it must have been a ***** to land on such deck.
                                I think you land on the non-curvy side
                                APOSTOLNIK BEANIE BERET BICORNE BIRETTA BOATER BONNET BOWLER CAP CAPOTAIN CHADOR COIF CORONET CROWN DO-RAG FEDORA FEZ GALERO HAIRNET HAT HEADSCARF HELMET HENNIN HIJAB HOOD KABUTO KERCHIEF KOLPIK KUFI MITRE MORTARBOARD PERUKE PICKELHAUBE SKULLCAP SOMBRERO SHTREIMEL STAHLHELM STETSON TIARA TOQUE TOUPEE TRICORN TRILBY TURBAN VISOR WIG YARMULKE ZUCCHETTO

Comment

Working...
                                X