No announcement yet.

First Chinese Aircraft Carrier - When?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The forward deck slopes up. Was this carrier designed for VSTOL aircarft? .
    No.

Isn't the sloped-up deck a compensation for the shorter deck length, or somesuch, i.e. planes not being able to reach the needed speed to get airborne, so this is achieved by them leaving the deck at an angle?
    Yes.
    "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

So they weren't able to figure out how to use steam driven catapaults to launch their aircraft?
      "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

the Kirov class
        urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
          The forward deck slopes up. Was this carrier designed for VSTOL aircarft?
          Not exactly.
          Kuznetsov is a sister ship of Varyag:

However it could support Yak-41 VSTOL fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
            So they weren't able to figure out how to use steam driven catapaults to launch their aircraft?
            It's a long story. Initially Orel class had have 2 (iirc) steam driven catapaults, but later plans changed.

Comment

So they weren't able to figure out how to use steam driven catapults to launch their aircraft?

A) It could be an additional push. once again, shorter deck length = less room for steam catapult acceleration = less airspeed while leaving the deck.
              B) Actually, from what I've hear, steam driven catapults aren't such a trivial technology, so it's possible that a design choice was made = weaker steam catapults with less acceleration, and a curved up deck.
              urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Colonâ„¢
                Looks pretty. More elegant than most other carriers.
                Definitely.

Comment

Az is right, the deck is curved to compensate for it's length. I believe first carriers also used that technique. I always thought it must have been a ***** to land on such deck.

Comment

Originally posted by Az

B) Actually, from what I've hear, steam driven catapults aren't such a trivial technology, so it's possible that a design choice was made = weaker steam catapults with less acceleration, and a curved up deck.
                    Kuznetsov class doesn't have any steam catapults. It has Su-33 instead.
                    However, an imitation of deck with a steam catapult has been build on surface and used for training. Then came Su-33 and designers abandoned (sacrificed for more usefull things) this catapult idea.

Comment

Re: Re: First Chinese Aircraft Carrier - When?

Originally posted by Serb

Not us, stupid Ukranians did so
                      Well what would they do with it? Ukraine sure doesn't need to project power anywhere.

BTW., were Turks required to let her pass through Bosporus by some international treaty? If not, what did the Soviets plan to do with it? Keep it in the Black Sea?

Comment

I am not a big fan of the "let's build a plane with an enormous amount of modifications so that it can take off from an aircraft carrier", but if you do, do it right. I read the Su-33 wiki article, and some things make me so mad. What kind of an idiot engineer doesn't take care of the plane getting into the hangar as trivially a top priority?

pryamo kak i tut - strana talantlivih raspizdyayev...*sigh*
                        urgh.NSFW

Comment

Re: Re: Re: First Chinese Aircraft Carrier - When?

Originally posted by VetLegion

Well what would they do with it? Ukraine sure doesn't need to project power anywhere.
                          Only a traitor or complete idiot can sell such warship for 20 million USD. It's like selling a new shining Ferrari for 2 thousand USD.

BTW., were Turks required to let her pass through Bosporus by some international treaty? If not, what did the Soviets plan to do with it? Keep it in the Black Sea?
                          It was a secondary issue.
                          How could they stop it anyway? Attack it and start WW3?

Comment

Well what would they do with it?

I am quite certain the Russians would've paid more.
                            urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Az
                              pryamo kak i tut - strana talantlivih raspizdyayev...*sigh*
                              Bingo

Comment

Originally posted by Az
                                Well what would they do with it?

I am quite certain the Russians would've paid more.
                                It was in the middle of the 90's when we had a whore instead of a president.

Comment

Working...
                                X