No announcement yet.

The Incredibly Interesting Story of the NSA's domestic spying program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Obviously people can't be proven innocent in this sense, it's about mining ultimately. If it wasn't, the old way would be sufficient. OR possibly if there's a situation where they need to listen NOW and can't wait, this wouldn't need 90 days worth of stuff and retroactively justifying it. If you have a situation where information is so vital, that you need to tap in immidiately, I figure you can always apply for that permission the same day or the next day. Take into account what was revealed and those reasons should be elevated and in line with threats as in trying to prevent a strike right there and then pretty much. If not, I don't see why they'd need such powers.

And they don't, it's about mining. It's not that they'll listen to everyone, it's just that they'll mine it, and that's ultimately pretty comprehensive surveillance on all of your asses. Unfortunately this measure will flag 99% innocent people and no, the data won't be destroyed, otherwise they couldn't mine it. It might be disregarded as false alarm, but that's all.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker

I dont know, its a religion I dislike this time but I sure wouldn't want people following me simply because my religion or ideology partially resembled some nutcase's views. Logical, perhaps, constitutional, well, what is unreasonable? Cops can literally blow down your door and "unintentionally" set fire to your home and thats called "reasonable" if they think you have pot, so I'm sure this would be ruled okay.
      Well usually the people dealing with intel. are smarter and more reasonable and careful than cops.

Though admittedly, they can also be more devious

Comment

And they don't, it's about mining. It's not that they'll listen to everyone, it's just that they'll mine it, and that's ultimately pretty comprehensive surveillance on all of your asses. Unfortunately this measure will flag 99% innocent people and no, the data won't be destroyed, otherwise they couldn't mine it. It might be disregarded as false alarm, but that's all.
        what's the difference between being disregarded and being totally destroyed, when it's a sea of information?

Comment

Originally posted by Sirotnikov
          Regarding the logic of spying on politically active americans - I see it as very logical in attempt to filter out foreign insurgency and political influence methods, especially those employed by the Soviets (read the congress report on "Active Measures" and people of influence).
          Ever the fascist. How about we start spying on Jews, since so many of them seem to be spying for Israel and acting as agents of a foreign power?
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara

Ever the fascist. How about we start spying on Jews, since so many of them seem to be spying for Israel and acting as agents of a foreign power?
            Actually I would fully understand such a measure. I might dislike it personally, but it makes perfect sense.

Not to mention, you already do that, judging by the quantity of "foriegn influence" trials against AIPAC officials over absolute nonsense in recent years.

Comment

There has been new information about this today on NPR. It appears Cheney took it personal when the Justice Department told him the domestic spying program was illegal because he's personally taken it upon himself to black list anyone who told him what he didn't want to hear.

Documents relating to the late-night hospital room standoff between the Justice Department and the White House over the domestic spying program suggest that Vice President Dick Cheney punished a DOJ official who stood in the way of the reauthorization of the controversial program.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Is it 2008 yet??

Comment

Originally posted by Sirotnikov

Actually I would fully understand such a measure. I might dislike it personally, but it makes perfect sense.

Not to mention, you already do that, judging by the quantity of "foriegn influence" trials against AIPAC officials over absolute nonsense in recent years.
                  Can we stitch little stars on their clothes to raise awareness about these potential spies?
                  DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by Colonâ„¢
                    Can we stitch little stars on their clothes to raise awareness about these potential spies?
                    Highly unrecommended, since you'd lose the stealthiness aspect.

And would look racist and open to PR attacks.

Doing it in stealth is something I can understand though.

Comment

National security should not be made subservient to PR, sir.
                      DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Exactly.

Racial profiling works very well, and should continue being employed. It is reasonable and self-proven.

Comment

Working...
                        X