Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many electric shocks with 120V or greater have you received?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many electric shocks with 120V or greater have you received?

I can count 5:

3 with 120V AC (60 Hz)
    1 with a 600V power supply (it was operating at some odd frequency)
    1 with a capacitor I forgot to discharge (not sure what it was charged to, but the power supply to the equipment was 220V)
    Never; I'm smarter than that
    37.84%
    Once, and never again
    27.03%
    Twice bitten, once shy. Or something
    8.11%
    Three times lucky
    2.70%
    4-6 times; I don't learn so fast
    10.81%
    7-10 times
    5.41%
    11-20 times
    0.00%
    20-50 times
    2.70%
    51+ times. My head hurts, and I think I've gained superpowers
    5.41%
    What's electricity? (aka THE BANANA OPTION)
    0.00%
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

As a kid I think I recieved about three short 240v shocks - probably from dodgy wiring. Quite stimulating, IIRC.

Comment

What I hate the most about getting hit with a jolt is the awful buzzing feeling it leaves in your fingers for hours afterwards.
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Never.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Not sure, but it'd be a maximum of one:

I was tinkering with my monitor (tube, 15") a few years ago and since the image was always a bit flickering and fading I removed the case to check it out (as I touched the controler board the condition would change, must have been some dead contact somewhere). At some point I hadn't realized that it was plugged in and touched some metal part right next to the plug-in. No idea how much voltage there is, might be the whole 220V we get here in Europe, but I suppose it was already transformed down. Anyway, it felt like being whacked and I left the contact, sitting back shocked for a few seconds (agonized more mentally than physically no doubt).

Does this count?

Comment

AND we used to put the contacts of 7.5 V batteries to our tongue to enjoy the "acidic" feeling. Does this count?

Comment

I don't think a little 7.5v tongue job counts, Ecthy.

Comment

The worst shock I ever got was as a kid. I was trying to plug in a little bedside christmas tree (it was the week before Christmas) in the dark, and couldn't manage to get the prongs into the socket. I decided to do it by feel, so I grabbed the prongs between my fingers and guided them into the socket. I was planning to just get the prongs into the edge and then let go of them, but I must have pushed too far. My hand went into the classic death grip when the first shock hit me, so I was stuck with current going up my arm for what must have been 2 or 3 seconds (but which felt like forever) before I jerked my whole body backward. My heart beat funny for a while after that (next 5 or 10 minutes), but it went back to normal. I decided not to wake my parents up because I was afraid of getting in trouble (I was 7-10 years old, IIRC).
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I've heard before that the current wanders up your arm... why does it happen that way?

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                    Never.
                    They should make you compsci guys do some hands-on electronics work. You're guaranteed to pop your cherry...
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthy
                      I've heard before that the current wanders up your arm... why does it happen that way?
                      Ohm's Law
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I got a 120 when plugging in Christmas lights as a kid. Thats it.
                        "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                          They should make you compsci guys do some hands-on electronics work. You're guaranteed to pop your cherry...
                          I've done my fair share. Made a speaker once, plus the usual toy electronics dealies.

I have built many, many computers over the years, if that counts.
                          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                            Ohm's Law
                            Elaborate for us non-physicists?

Comment

3 of mine were from dealing with lab equipment of one sort or another. I've already told the story of one of them. One of them was while I was messing around with the guts of some consumer electronics I evidently did not understand as well as I thought I did...
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                              X