Hush. I'm playing with Kid.

I'll rib you about being Jewish later.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by Wycoff
      You're claiming that meat itself practically never contibutes positively to the flavor of food, which, if true, would take away a major rationale for eating meat. In other words, meat could be replaced with soy in almost every situation without any real loss of flavor quality.
      As a matter of fact, when it comes to chicken, cow, and possibly fish dishes (I haven't had any of those myself), this is completely true. In east asian countries like thailand there are amazingly convincing fake meats for the buddhist vegetarians.

Your point seemed to be that "eating meat because it tastes good isn't a good reason to eat meat, because the good flavor is almost always coming from something other than the meat." (We really should be speaking in terms of animal products, as this thread is about veganism. If we were, then your claim would look even worse)

I think that that's ridiculous, and I doubt that even the majority of meat served is served in a manner that fits our description of flavorless meat. You haven't shown that it is.
      My point was that meat really does not taste that great in most cases. Only very particular kinds of meat have a really distinct flavour. Cow and chiken certainly have their own flavour and texture, of course, but it is nothing to write home about without any sort of dressing, sauces, or herbs to create the taste that is so appealing. Unseasoned chicken is about as exciting as mashed potatos.

I might also add that the herbs that make meat dishes so exciting are vegetables. The idea that meat is so much more superior to veggies in terms of taste is that much mroe ridiculous when you consider that it's the seeds and leaves of vegetables that give the dish an exciting flavour in the first place.

So, basically, what i'm saying is that the oneliner position of "I eat meat because it tastes good" is really ****ing ignorant and short sighted and little more than a cop-out in order not think about what you're consuming. In most cases it's just as much (or more so) the vegetables that you're tasting. Regardless of that, you can have amazing tastes with or without meat anyways. Taste is not a factor in the issue.
      Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

• Let's just go from this web page discussion of the long run vs the short run and maybe you can tell me what you are on about elasticity for.

http://www.tutor2u.net/economics/con...run_output.htm

The Long Run Adjustment Process

If most firms are making abnormal profits in the short run there will be an expansion of the output of existing firms and we expect to see the entry of new firms into the industry. Firms are responding to the profit motive and supernormal profits act as a signal for a reallocation of resources within the market. The addition of new suppliers causes an outward shift in the market supply curve. This is shown in the diagram below.

Making the assumption that the market demand curve remains unchanged, higher market supply will reduce the equilibrium market price until the price = long run average cost. At this point each firm is making normal profits only. There is no further incentive for movement of firms in and out of the industry and a long-run equilibrium has been established.

The entry of new firms shifts the market supply curve to MS2 and drives down the market price to P2. At the profit-maximising output level Q3 only normal profits are being made. There is no incentive for firms to enter or leave the industry. Thus a long-run equilibrium is established.
        Attached Files
        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Kiddie, you ****ing dolt, just because a long-run supply curve is LESS STEEP than the short-run supply curve, it doesn't mean that the long-run supply curve is FLAT

Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse

Kiddie, you ****ing dolt, just because a long-run supply curve is LESS STEEP than the short-run supply curve, it doesn't mean that the long-run supply curve is FLAT

Again. It's not about elasticity in the long run. It's about costs. It depends on what their costs would be to increase their production.
            You just showed us all that you are even dumber than we thought you were.

If their average costs change obviously the curve is not flat.

You keep trying though. It's somewhat entertaining and I'm bored.

Comment

• So you agree that the long-run equilibrium price is lower than it would be under the current situation?
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

So you agree that the long-run equilibrium price is lower than it would be under the current situation?
                No.

Comment

• Originally posted by General Ludd

My point was that meat really does not taste that great in most cases. Only very particular kinds of meat have a really distinct flavour. Cow and chiken certainly have their own flavour and texture, of course, but it is nothing to write home about without any sort of dressing, sauces, or herbs to create the taste that is so appealing. Unseasoned chicken is about as exciting as mashed potatos.
                  I find that the interaction between a given set of spices and say chicken, versus beef, pook, moose, rabbit, seal or caribou-- is quitre different. The meat with the spice achieve flavor combinations which I enjoy more than either the meet or spice alone

I enjoy chicken in a dish in much the same way as I enjoy potato-- It may be blander but in combination with spicier elements, it can be part of great combinations

Originally posted by General Ludd

I might also add that the herbs that make meat dishes so exciting are vegetables. The idea that meat is so much more superior to veggies in terms of taste is that much mroe ridiculous when you consider that it's the seeds and leaves of vegetables that give the dish an exciting flavour in the first place.
                  I like the combination. Often good beef needs little more than a salt and pepper rub -- YUMM

Originally posted by General Ludd

In most cases it's just as much (or more so) the vegetables that you're tasting. Regardless of that, you can have amazing tastes with or without meat anyways. Taste is not a factor in the issue.
                  Based on taste I generally prefer dishes that combine meat and other ingredients-- I do enjoy some all veggie dishes but they are in the minority-- So for me, a personal taste preference does cause me to like meat
                  You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Re: economics - what about the effects of agricultural price controls and/or government subsidies?

Re: taste of meat - General Ludd, what about salt? Not a vegetable.
                    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                    Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                    One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

• The thing is that normally when you talk about price determination in the long run you talk about average costs. Using the term elasticity is not usual. I don't know if we mean the same thing, but using different terms. So LotM will have to clarify.

Do we agree that average costs may increase in the future because of scarcity of land? Are we both talking about that? If it is I don't know how much of a factor that is. I would have to see some expert analysis.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lord Avalon
                        Re: economics - what about the effects of agricultural price controls and/or government subsidies?
                        Buying up grain and giving it as aid is subsidies and I think that would work as a long run solution where taxing beef or something like that wouldn't.

Comment

• I've had several babies in my practice who had to be fed with a soy based formula. It's no big deal, the formula is scientifically balanced to be complete.
                          "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious
                            Do we agree that average costs may increase in the future because of scarcity of land?
                            Dude, you're ****ing postulating a new demand curve based on a projection of population expansion again.

Jesus ****ing Christ.

Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Dude, you're ****ing postulating a new demand curve based on a projection of population expansion again.

Jesus ****ing Christ.

WTF?!

Comment

• Yes, wtf.
                                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                                X