No announcement yet.

On Asher's Gayness.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's really nothing more to say about this except that your theory isn't grounded in any actual biology and therefore is fairly meaningless.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

Just stop, please.

(Specifically, this obsession with such a huge linear influence of testosterone levels.)

edit: damnit, I'm getting you two mixed up
      My plan is coming to fruition ...

Seriously though, I wasn't implying a linear influence, just that if there is any correlation, that's one possible reason for it.
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

And most of my [serious] posts on Apolyton aren't vague, just indirect, mostly because it amuses me to see people like Oerdin or GePap take dozens of posts to figure out my arguemnt [which has been perfectly clear to plenty of others from the start].

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
          My plan is coming to fruition ...

Seriously though, I wasn't implying a linear influence, just that if there is any correlation, that's one possible reason for it.
          I know just enough biology to know that the body is infinitely more complex than it's being treated in this thread.

Comment

Biology is so descriptive. What we need to finally explain the field of sexuality is cognitive sciences. And even if it's just because it's such a smart word.

Comment

Originally posted by Sn00py
              snoopy, if you believe that society is a major factor in shaping whether you are gay or straight, then I guess the best way to prove that theory is to find a gay person in a tribe of very few people that are against male and male courtship.

I have not heard or read of any, but I have strong feelings that there are men who are born with attraction for men only; I profoundly disagree that society has much influence on what sex you prefer.
              Do you ask them when they come out of the womb?

If not, then environmental effects occur from day one. Who knows what might influence one's orientation? Maybe if you're entirely bottle-fed, you're more likely to be gay (no breast fixation). Maybe if you're allowed a pacifier longer, you're more likely to be gay (sucking fixation). Maybe if you have a close uncle as a child who is nicer to you than your parents, you're more likely to be gay.

Or any of those things could go the other way, too ... or none of them have any effect, which is much more likely since I'm just spouting them off at random. Point is, environmental/social effects are numerous and unmeasurable. I'm not talking about something as simple as social preference (though that has some effect undoubtedly, at least on the actual coming out), but about the complex interactions that make people into who we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthy
                Biology is so descriptive. What we need to finally explain the field of sexuality is cognitive sciences. And even if it's just because it's such a smart word.
                Cog sci

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

I know just enough biology to know that the body is infinitely more complex than it's being treated in this thread.
                  Certainly, although I have no doubt that there is some effect from testosterone - whether it be levels overall, levels at certain points in development, etc. - on sexual preference, it is more complex than simply "more testosterone = more gay".

Or not. Who knows? The body is incredibly complex, but it can be incredibly simple at times

Comment

I think Asher was spot on when he got onto that "sexual identity" stuff. So mix in a bit of sociology and there we go

Comment

Has anybody yet mentioned that Asher claims he has abnormally high levels of testosterone?
                      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Why do people feel the need to dress up their pop-psych speculations in half-digested biochem?

Well, apart from impressing idiots?
                        Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                        The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

You answered it.

Comment

Now, on to Asher. Have any of you noticed, that the pictures he has posted of guys he finds "cute" are very feminine type of men? The most recent example I can recall right now is the boy from the TV show "Heroes". This guy is gay, he does not behave girly, but his features are a bit soft and "sweet".
                            Actually research shows that females also tend to like slightly 'feminine' male types, over brutish manly men.

Think of the huge success of Leonardo Di Caprio or Brad Pit.

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist
                              Why do people feel the need to dress up their pop-psych speculations in half-digested biochem?
                              Sometimes I think I understand how KH feels when reading someone's ideas about physics that are so completely out of touch that you debate if correcting them is worth the time.

Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
                              -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Free will is a legal fiction.
                                Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                                The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Working...
                                X