Fascist America, in 10 Easy Steps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kidicious
    Did anyone else think that Slaughtermeyer was Ted's DL?
    Unbelievable!

Actually, I'm pretty sure it was Slaughtermeyer who gave Ted his crazy ideas (well some of them).

Comment

It will never cease to amaze me just how much Europe cares about the US and what it does and their never ending pursuit to socialize America and make us more like Europe. Europe was yesterday's news and I guess they just can't cope with their insignificance.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander I
        I bet most Romans didn't think their glorious republic would ever become an empire, either.
        When was Rome ever a "glorious republic?"
        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Rome: of the people, by the people, for the people. Oh, wait...

-Arrian
          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Re: Re: Fascist America, in 10 Easy Steps

Originally posted by Victor Galis

Because Bush and co. managed to start an unpopular war, and are now fairly hated by the populace. The scenario would have been more plausible pre-Iraq when Bush's approval ratings were super high.
            But the threat is not confined to the current administration - as the article says, it doesn't really matter who's in power; if the checks and balances to ensure freedom and democracy are eroded, the temptation and the power to go further is there for any furture administration. And that's what's really scary.

The article raised some very good points, and I think there's reason to be worried.

And why do Europeans concern themselves with American politics? Because America is currently the only superpower, with enormous influence over world politics. What happens in America doesn't stay in America; the effects cascade throughout the world. Also, why do Americans care about human rights abuses, say, in China?

Just because you don't live somewhere, doesn't mean that you cannot empathise with perceived injustices there.

I for one would find America sliding into facism a terrifying prospect - just a decade ago, if someone had told me that in 2007 America would have secret detention centers, with prisoners without basic legal rights, and the president the power to have anyone declared an "enemy combatant" and sent to such center, I would have thought it a scary, but fortunately a somewhat unlikely fiction. I mean think about those things - am I the only one who thinks that's hair-raisingly blatant violation of democratic principles, and the freedoms Americans used to be (rightly!) proud of?
            Only the most intelligent, handsome/beautiful denizens of apolyton may join the game :)

Comment

I think as long as there is some sort of impassioned opposition, democracy is safe. The greatest danger is when support for an administration bent on the aquisition of power is too high.

Now obviously, I'll be worried if some of these things aren't dismantled under the next administration.
              "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
              -Joan Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva

When was Rome ever a "glorious republic?"
                Can you say "sarcasm?"
                The Apolytoner formerly known as Alexander01
                "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
                "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
                The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

Working...
                X