Damn it, opportunity presented itself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damn it, opportunity presented itself

So today I was participating a seminar and showed some of my work, so this professor gave me a hint and said they have this program starting in their University (still in Finland), and I was like cool, sounds pretty good. Why? Because it is exactly the field I'm interested in, the field I want to study and the field I want to start the company.

So I was like sure, I'll check it out, but only because I know the Uni being a top school for this field, in fact the ONLY Uni in here that gives you a focus in this field (IT security). So I read the description, because it's a job, it's a research job and you'd be doing your PhD there as well. So I checked it out and it was _exactly_ the very spesified field I'm interested in. It was like made for me, the topic was exactly the topic I'm into and the topic I know a great deal about, and it's kind of specialized field so it's not very known with general public, so I doubt there's lots of people wanting to do it because a) not a lot of people know about it because it is very specialized and advanced and b) blaablaablaa. Like.. if you were into the penises of fishes, not just the fish or penis, but both of them together.. not a lot of people into it.

So now there's a spot, it's ready, and it's designed for me, I couldn't make a better description of what I'm interested in, it is exactly that stuff. Other bonuses, the school is known for this field in here, so I'd say it's the elite place to be in that field (security). It's not widely known internationally like .. Stanford, but they got the best people we have in there, and they're now expanding so I guess they're trying to make a name as well.

My only problem is, my thesis won't be ready and I won't be graduated by the time I need to apply. So I contacted the professor in there (different one than the one in the seminar) and he was like cool stuff, because we're talking with the terms we both know so he knows exactly what I'm into, and that I know that field. So he tells me about the projects, I just e-mailed him if I should apply because I'm not exactly the perfect candidate on paper just yet. But he told me to apply, send my papers in, and gave me the introduction of the programs.

So those are the bonuses, plus I'd be close to the best professor in the field, I mean best local one. The description also says that I'd have to be ready to travel a lot, and I know this professor is so busy just going into places and giving presentations and lectures, so it's busy busy busy and definitely lots of face time with the people in the business should I be accepted.

So what are the cons? Ok, the place is FAR away, it's in the middle of nowhere. So 3 years of .. living in nowhere, plus I don't know anyone there, so I'd have to make new friends ONCE again, and that's pain in the ass. Also, it still fits my plans, but I was kind of thinking of applying into top schools in the US, but I don't have the money so I'd need a fellowship at least to make it work, and that would take time to do all that work and stuff, and if I missed it, man, it would mean "so what the hell do I do now?". I do have a place to continue studies in the school I'm in now, but I don't have support here at all for my line of work, so I'm a loner in it and have to do everything by myself and it sucks sometimes.

So that's the opportunity. Should I apply or not? It would be a big change in my life, it would mean I'd have to WRAP THIS THING UP pronto, move to another city that's in the middle of nowhere and far far away from everything. And it's a big leap, I don't know what's up there, it's like woaah, you know, a jump into big black hole.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

If you apply and get in, can't you still decide not to go?

Further, based on a post from a little while ago, it sounded like you were going nuts (moreso than normal, anyway) in your current position. Now an "out" presents itself... what sayeth your gut?

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

That's right, I could check it out and still say no... so from the technical aspect of applying, I should.

Yeah, I'm going nuts here with the job I have. But this job wouldn't last too long, because I'm not going to get another contract from here anyway.

My only worries are the location, it's pretty naive and very superficial, but you know... plus I don't know anyone, I'd have to start from point 0 again. Then again, professionally, it would make total sense, it would be THE place to be in here. But I have considered getting my ass to the US for the PhD thing as well. Then again.. why not take the elite spot in here, should I get it? I know they'd totally support my work, and I'd get to meet all the people in here that are worth meeting, I'd get to travel a lot and show my work to all these people outside Finland as well most likely. Sounds like a dream thing.

Maybe I should apply. It's just that I have many options, I've planned these things, and now I should just go with this one, because I just heard about it? Ugh... maybe this was meant to happen? Maybe my karma is working for me for once?
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

Can't hurt to apply.
        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Screw it. I'll apply. I don't even meet the minimum requirements yet, so it might be far fetched to be accepted. But then again, I usually have been chosen when other people have more credits for some reason. I guess I fight better when I'm hungry.
          In da butt.

Comment

Sounds like the perfect springboard for an international career... The only reason not to do it would be if you find the right place in the US before then after all...

Speaking of which, I have jobs to apply to myself.
            Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Exactly. You know, I DON'T want to stay in here, I DON'T want to pursue purely an academic career. I just want my damn PhD, adn the experience it gives me, hopefully few published articles that are actually good and some face time in few good conferences, and the actual doctoral thesis. I figure this takes 3 years if I really rush it and I should, I can't take my life in here for much longer.

So, then I'd be ready to leave with all those credits, my goal is to make a great career in this very field, so.. I think this might be a good deal, it's just that it's kind of scary, to break away from ALL your plans (to still pursue PhD though), in a far away place. I might have living there. Things like that. So then you make a hasty decision, you might regret it.

Oh well. The ones who never takes any risks are the ones who never truly succeeded.
              In da butt.

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                That's right, I could check it out and still say no... so from the technical aspect of applying, I should.
                Obviously

PLus there will be DIFFERENT girls there on which to try your "charms"
                You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

What do you mean "charms" ? I'm awesome. I'm a bit unconventional when it comes to talking "deep stuff", but they just don't understand it sometimes, but that's not my fault, it's their fault if they are not crystal clear super brain mode.
                  In da butt.

Comment

So it has been decided, I will apply.

I talked to my dad about it and he was excited as well. It's kind of cool, I usually don't talk to my dad asking advice, but I just decided to call because I had other business as well. It was pretty cool, because he's proud of me. Yeah... He's proud of me right now, no matter what I do, but I like how he gets excited and proud because I'm going to be the first PhD-dude in my family and the last for a long time as well. I'm also the only kid so.. it's a big deal. He struggled hard all his life to build up the life for the family, he started working when he was 14, physically demanding labor. And now I get to tell him that it paid off, thanks for your hard work, I 'm getting all the opportunities I can dream of, and you are part of that success because I was raised to do this and was never questioned. He's had lots of disappointments in the past as well, so it's feels good to have him be excited about these things, because it's genuine and I know he's bragging about it to his buddies. It's not the reason I do things, but it certainly is an added bonus.

I don't know when I'll hear back from them, so.. it might be a month or two. But I'll apply soon, they want my CV as well as an application. But tehre was no application form, so I figure it's freestyle. Guys, do you know any.. like standards making these applications? THis is not librul artist school, they don't want certain type of creativity

So yeah, the format of it.. any examples?
                    In da butt.

Comment

Pekka's joining the Finnish Underground Police!!!

Aren't you into impersonations in order to gain access to highly secure areas... i.e. streaking!!!!?
                      Monkey!!!

Comment

You'd have to be an idiot not to apply. If you're not accepted, so what? At least you applied and got your name in front of them. Sit on your ass and do nothing, what does that gain?

GO APPLY!
                        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Japher, in streaking, I'd be impersonating myself, as in that's me dude!

Sloww, true.. it's those big decisions, because I think I have a real shot, so then I might just take it and it would change my life, but the first part would be always difficult, new place, no one you know there, once agian you left your friends etc.. difficult but, it's what you have to do in order to advance, right? I figure this is the way it might go.
                          In da butt.

Comment

You friends would want you to go, because secretly they don't really like you

I moved 2400 miles to a place I know no one for career advancement and improvement in the quality of life. It was worth it.
                            Monkey!!!

Comment

yeah but you have a wife and a little girl, you're not completely alone

It's worth it, of course. This is just not what I planned so.. it's kind of a leap of faith, opportunity presented itself. I'll apply.
                              In da butt.

Comment

Working...
                              X