Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do people go to the gym but then only do cardio?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I use to... cutting pasta and cheese did a lot for my diet and helped my weight loss

Jon Miller
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• What do you guys think about a relatively ample pasta meal before going to bed (200g plus sauce)

Comment

• Good if you are going to work out a lot early the next morning. Not good otherwise.
        "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
        "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
        "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
        "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

• Originally posted by Sava

While that kind of approach can work in the short term, if someone doesn't keep that level of activity and caloric intake up; they will gain all the weight back.
          Uhhh...no.

If you go back to how you were living before you will eventually get back to where you were before. Duh. That's true of any regimen. After I reached target weight (actually, target bfp) I simply began to increase my carbohydrate intake to maintenance levels (on that schedule, total of ~2500 calories for a man my age and size).

I've gained about half of that weight back over the last 3 months due to a stream of injuries (ankle, arm and finger) that have kept me out of the gym, but I'm still ~10% bfp.

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Killing it is the new killing it
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by Apocalypse
            Good if you are going to work out a lot early the next morning. Not good otherwise.
            Not really. By the time you get up that's totally digested already.
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by Ecthy
              Ah so eating 1-2 eggs per day does not increase protein intake on a kidney dangerous level, so it's just the cholesterole... or was that one of those lies from the 80s?
              not sure what the consensus on egg is now. In the 80's there was a big thing against eggs. Cholesterol is still bad. But I hear the cholesterol in eggs is not so bad.

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse

Uhhh...no.

If you go back to how you were living before you will eventually get back to where you were before. Duh. That's true of any regimen. After I reached target weight (actually, target bfp) I simply began to increase my carbohydrate intake to maintenance levels (on that schedule, total of ~2500 calories for a man my age and size).

I've gained about half of that weight back over the last 3 months due to a stream of injuries (ankle, arm and finger) that have kept me out of the gym, but I'm still ~10% bfp.

After an intense, regular weight-training regime, and one has gained the targeted weight in muscle, is there a less intense regime routine one can do that is lighter since you have gained the muscle weight you wanted?
                A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Not really. By the time you get up that's totally digested already.
                  It's not all turned into fat
                  "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
                  "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
                  "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
                  "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

• Originally posted by MrFun

After an intense, regular weight-training regime, and one has gained the targeted weight in muscle, is there a less intense regime routine one can do that is lighter since you have gained the muscle weight you wanted?
                    You can step off a bit, but you will tend to lose muscle you have gained if you don't continue to lift at a significant percentage of your max ability.
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• When I used to go to the gym I'd only play basketball. I wasn't there to work out, just to have some fun.

I don't believe that fat people are just lazy, or that losing weight is similarly easy for everyone, because I'm on the other end of the spectrum. I can sit on my ass eating nothing but doughnuts, peanut butter, and pudding for 6 months and not gain a pound, I don't even put on fat. (And yes, I've actually done this.) I lose a couple pounds and some muscle tone if I don't exersize regularly, but that's it. If I go play basketball 8 hours a day for 6 months, eating healthy, I don't lose weight. Might gain back the muscle and muscle tone I've lost, but that's it. (6 months is generally how long I can put up with a lifestyle before drastic changes are made...)

Been 160-165lbs for the past 16 years or so since I stopped growing. The only thing that makes me lose a significant amount of weight is when I get really sick, or stay inactive for longer than 6 months. A couple of times I've dropped as low as 155lbs after being sick. Nothing I've ever done has made me gain weight, and the amount of fat on my body is practically set in stone. If my natural metabolism can be that rock steady regardless of what I throw at it, certainly other's could be "locked in" at other levels.

Comment

you will tend to lose muscle you have gained if you don't continue to lift at a significant percentage of your max ability.
                        Why?

Comment

• I don't know, but it's true.

Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Your body has some sort of ability to correct for carrying around muscle it's not using (and which is metabolically quite costly).
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Huh? That's what the body does all the time, muscles shrink when not used and grow when used. I thought this was the oldest news on Earth.

Comment

• So did I. But I don't know the mechanism for it.

Stadtluft Macht Frei
                                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                                X