Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do people go to the gym but then only do cardio?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did he do that in conjuction with a diet change?
    "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Nope.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

"My dad dropped 50 pounds over 6 months just by buying a stationary bike and biking 25 mins a day."

Absoluter BS.

To lose a pound of fat you need a 3500 calorie deficit. 50 pounds therefore needs a 175000calorie deficit. Over 180 days this is approximately 1000calorie deficit per day.

This can not be achieved solely by biking 25 mins per day.

One hour's biking uses 300 - 700 calories.
        www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Originally posted by Doddler
          Absoluter BS.

To lose a pound of fat you need a 3500 calorie deficit. 50 pounds therefore needs a 175000calorie deficit. Over 180 days this is approximately 1000calorie deficit per day.

This can not be achieved solely by biking 25 mins per day.
          Now that is BS, factually.

I know of the 3500 rule, but I've found it not even close to being true.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

To be honest, I would not expect a 50 lb. weight loss on the bike (30 minutes each) in 6 months. For one, you get hungrier when you exercise. For me, it was more like 10 lb. over a similar period, with most of the benefit just feeling better.
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

Now that is BS, factually.

I know of the 3500 rule, but I've found it not even close to being true.
              And do you have anything to back that up rather than mere personal anecdote?
              www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

The 300-700 bit depends on resistance and aggression. 25 minutes of lazy idling cycling with almost no resistance can't compare to lots of resistance at a higher speed for 25 minutes.

The 3500 calories per pound of fat thing is a wild guesstimate and varies wildly from person to person.

Comment

It's established that 3500 calories/pound is a wild guess and it's also established no body is the same. What more do you need?

Comment

The 300-700 bit depends on resistance and aggression. 25 minutes of lazy idling cycling with almost no resistance can't compare to lots of resistance at a higher speed for 25 minutes.
                    Which is why I gave a fairly wide range

The 3500 calories per pound of fat thing is a wild guesstimate and varies wildly from person to person.
                    Anyhting more than personal anecdote?
                    www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Do you have anything else other than generalized guesses?

Comment

Do you have anything else other than generalized guesses?
                        You said, "It's established that 3500 calories/pound is a wild guess and it's also established no body is the same".

Show some of this established over-turning of accepted science.
                        www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Err...what?

3500 calories to shed a pound of fat is accepted science? The last time I checked that was a "rough estimate". Perhaps that is sciencey to you..?

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
                            but if you fall in the gym, everyone will laugh at you and you'll never be able to show your face their again
                            only if going to the gym is a source of pride.
                            "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                            'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Some days I do cardio, some days I do weights. On days that I have more than an hour and a half or so, I do both.
                              "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
                              "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144

only if going to the gym is a source of pride.
                                Yep, leave you ego at the door!
                                www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Working...
                                X