Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do people go to the gym but then only do cardio?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Why do people go to the gym but then only do cardio?

Originally posted by Doddler
    Seems a bit pointless - a marathon runner's build isn't exactly something to aspire to...
    I suppose that's a matter of opinion.

Anyway, people work out in a way that they are either comfortable with, enjoy, or that isn't too complicated as to be offputting. Whatever works, so long as you do something.
    "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
    "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon Miller
      Nah, I currently get to work in about 10 minutes... maybe a bit more if traffic is bad.

JM
      get the backpack

Comment

• Originally posted by b etor

get the backpack
        don't let a fifteen year old tell you what to do Jon!
        www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

• but it's cool
          also, i'm sixteen.

Comment

• A marathon runner's build isn't bad. It's fairly cheap in that you can be very healthy without a gym membership. If you just want to be basically not fat, then it is still better than 2/3rds of bodies out there.
            "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
            "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
            "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
            "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

• Originally posted by Apocalypse
              A marathon runner's build isn't bad. It's fairly cheap in that you can be very healthy without a gym membership. If you just want to be basically not fat, then it is still better than 2/3rds of bodies out there.
              Skin and bones with no functional strength to speak of? Just massive lungs.
              www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

• I've known guys with 32+ inch waists and girls with more than a B cup that can run marathons.
                "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
                "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
                "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
                "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

• Originally posted by Doddler

Skin and bones with no functional strength to speak of? Just massive lungs.
                  And a strong heart is not functional?
                  It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars

Comment

• Originally posted by Footie Mad

And a strong heart is not functional?
                    Yes, but you don't need to get down to 50kg to get a strong heart.
                    www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

• It seems that some things increase well, especially legs (from squats), but also chest. But other things are a real struggle, like back or biceps. I think that my triceps increase decently also.

The thing is, it is depressing when I haven't gone up in weight for my lat pulldown in a while. Also, I have been doing dumbell press (probably works my triceps more than my chest, actually) but I don't think I can go up in weight without a spotter to help me get the weight up... (I do more per arm on my dumbell press then I do with both arms combined on a bicep curl).

JM
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN
                      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

It seems that some things increase well, especially legs (from squats), but also chest. But other things are a real struggle, like back or biceps. I think that my triceps increase decently also.
                        You should spend around 35% of your time on your back, 25% on chest, and 45% on legs. perhaps your routine is dominated by chest?

The thing is, it is depressing when I haven't gone up in weight for my lat pulldown in a while.
                        Eat more. Change your routine, try supersets or something else new.

Also, I have been doing dumbell press (probably works my triceps more than my chest, actually) but I don't think I can go up in weight without a spotter to help me get the weight up... (I do more per arm on my dumbell press then I do with both arms combined on a bicep curl).

JM
                        There are hooks you can get to rest dumbells on an overhead bar, they are quite useful when you are getting up towards 100lbs per hand
                        www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

• Lol, I am less than 50 lbs per hand. It is just that my bicep is super weak, despite appearing when I flex my arm.

Currently I do:
                          1. Lat pulldowns (machine)
                          2. Dumbell press
                          3. squats (machine)
                          4. bicep curl (not every time)
                          5. bendy things (don't know the name, I take a weight, anchor might feet at a 45 degree angle with all my weight on my thighs and below, and then bend down so that my head is towards the floor, I think it works my hamstrings and lower back)
                          6. pillars

JM
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN
                          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• When I saw improvements with my chest is when I was doing isolateral press (machine).

JM
                            Jon Miller-
                            I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Lol, I am less than 50 lbs per hand. It is just that my bicep is super weak, despite appearing when I flex my arm.

Currently I do:
                              1. Lat pulldowns (machine)
                              2. Dumbell press
                              3. squats (machine)
                              4. bicep curl (not every time)
                              5. bendy things (don't know the name, I take a weight, anchor might feet at a 45 degree angle with all my weight on my thighs and below, and then bend down so that my head is towards the floor, I think it works my hamstrings and lower back)
                              6. pillars

JM
                              Scrap the curls, bendy things and pillars. The first three are OK though.

Add in bent-over (parallel to bench) rows, incline presses, bodyweight dips and you're nearly done!
                              www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

When I saw improvements with my chest is when I was doing isolateral press (machine).

JM
                                The problem is with machine they isolate, meaning it's not functional strength that you gain, just strength on that one machine, so ends up being strength that isn't very transferrable.Stick to dumbells and compound lifts (basically heavy s***, no curls or isolation movements)
                                www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Working...
                                X