No announcement yet.

I'm a victim - strategy advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Listen to Flubber, he's right. There is nothing offensive to have them document what they want you to do. Chalk it up to you needing a task list with due date that they agree on. This isn't ousting them, it seems rather manditory to me.
    Monkey!!!

Comment

Them, it's not them I have a problem with. It's my professor. She is a psycho.
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Didn't people warn you about this professor?

Jon Miller
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Yeah, they did, but I didn't know it was THIS serious. I thought it woudl be just akward and difficult to work with. Definitely an understatement of the year.
          In da butt.
          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
            Listen to Flubber, he's right. There is nothing offensive to have them document what they want you to do. Chalk it up to you needing a task list with due date that they agree on. This isn't ousting them, it seems rather manditory to me.
            Its sensible.

I got 5 seconds of crap for failing to respond to a query when I know I sent a voicemail- It reinforced a lesson for me-- document everything. Its a pain sometimes to send an email when a 30 second phone call would answer the question but now I at least send something like-- "response sent by voicemail- contact me if you require anything further"
            You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
              Use 1/4 of your pay to outsource all of your work to aneeshm.
              In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

I got 5 seconds of crap for failing to respond to a query when I know I sent a voicemail- It reinforced a lesson for me-- document everything. Its a pain sometimes to send an email when a 30 second phone call would answer the question but now I at least send something like-- "response sent by voicemail- contact me if you require anything further"
                It's why you send meeting minutes. Everything. I have a "cya" folder on my private drive to store all e-mail inquiries that may comeback and bite me in my arse. Nothin worse than being told to back burner something for another project and then being told that the project you back burnered is late and you are responsible.
                Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Japher

It's why you send meeting minutes. Everything. I have a "cya" folder on my private drive to store all e-mail inquiries that may comeback and bite me in my arse. Nothin worse than being told to back burner something for another project and then being told that the project you back burnered is late and you are responsible.
                  yup anything important was always that way for me-- bUT what I am finding is that the little pain in the ass stuff can bite you -- its a little bite but still. My boss is big on responsiveness so he doesn't like it any time that someone says they didn't hear back

So its usually the tiny crap that you forget about or the one where you send a voicemail that said ' Go ahead on the document issuance" that causes an issue. BUT I decided to document everything.

OH and an email to me?? I delete nothing EVER
                  You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Pekka, one thing I don't understand in your story (I do sympathise with you).

If this woman is such a *****, unpopular and in the process or on verge of being fired -- that plus being universally resented -- then how come she can hurt your prospects so much? It's a bit contradictory I think.

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva

Use 1/4 of your pay to outsource all of your work to aneeshm.

Comment

Sounds like your boss needs to die...or you're a work shy Finn who spends all day on Apolyton

I think the only approach to getting tasks from a woman is to them very badly so they'll do it themselves...

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                          Arrian, also, my boss has nothing to lose. They've terminated the position my boss holds. Why? Because firing a professor is difficult in here, so they went for all the trouble to terminate that position. So my professor will be here for couple more months, and a known psycho, you know, she doesn't care anymore. There's nothing to lose. So I get all this crap. I get it all. And there's just so much. Sometimes in the morning I feel a bit sick physically. I feel like I have little fever but I know it's not really that, my body is just trying to stop me going there.

Ok and I get all this pressure to do the project I was hired to do, I have other people to answer as well with it. How do I explain that I haven't been able to finish it, sinc eI'm doing all the ****ing work in the house and then some?

I want a way out. I don't know a way out but I need one. I think I'll gather evidence that if she's getting paid from the project as an expert, the one I'm doing just on the side as ordered, you know, I'm busting her for it. Or, I'll tell her simply, that here's the hours I've spent doing this, so I better get paid accordingly, if not, I'm complaining, and since this would be a contract breach from YOUR side, you know.. too bad. But that has no effect really, since my professor is already fired practically.
                          Do the original project. tell the boss you didn't have time to transcribe tapes.

If it sounds like you say, she can huff and puff, and turn purple. Why worry?

Oh, and hopefully you are getting these 'requests' by email or some other form of permanent record. When push comes to shove you can ask the people you really need to be accountable to (her bosses) how you were supposed to do your job and 2 others at the same time.

Forget 'breech of contract'. Simply refuse to do the extra crap and do your own job. Oh, make sure the extra crap isn;t in the job description.
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)
                          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Read the rest of the thread.

Flubber's right.

He swims with sharks. Listen to him.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)
                            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

I think I'm doing the best solution here though. I now have an ally (allie?) inside and basically I get to talk about it, also everyone else kind of knows my situation, so it's good to know if things go totally bonkers, I can turn to not only one but many people in the staff there.

I've decided to try to work this all but not kill myself over it. Should the load become where I can't even sleep, I have to confront my boss. I will confront her over the pay about my services where she gets paid but I don't, so I'm not done with that no matter what happens.

Also, the decision to step back to my old thesis plan is working. You see, now I have a 'secret' person guiding it I think. That is, I can work my thesis on the side, but not tell my boss that I've changed the subject. She will know when my contract is done. Then she can get pissed off all she wants, but I advanced all the time, and the person who would be guiding me knows the situation perfectly and is discreet.

Man, this is some court room drama! Lots of strategies and layers, everyone doing something behind backs, people angry, I like it
                              In da butt.

Comment

Working...
                              X