I'm a victim - strategy advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm a victim - strategy advice needed

I'm serious guys. I can't believe I'm in this mess. It's such a mess, I don't even think I deserve this. I think I've work hard enough to get something else but NOOOOOoooo.

I won't go into details about why it is important and very sensitive issue this whole thing, since I've made enough threads about my plans for the future. But now, I'm pissed off. I'm really freaking angry.

It's about the decision I made some months ago to take this job I'm doing now. I'm really starting to regret it. The job itself is fine and cool, but I don't get to do it that much. I'm a fairly independent player, but my "boss" is giving me all these extra tasks. I simply don't have the time. I'¨m getting so much tasks it's not even funny, it's criminal. So I told this to the person who was in my position last time and she said well, it was the same for her, she had a complete break down and she had to quit it. It turns out the person before did the same also. Simply put, no one has lasted in this position, because it's unfair, it's totally breaking the contract all the time.

The task I'm SUPPOSED to do is very technical and requires a lot of time and skill, so that's what I've been doing. It would be enough for 8h per day. On top of that I'm doing my studies, which is fine, but on top of that I'm getting MORE than double in extra tasks. More than double, easily. This is simply not a work for one person. And I'm fast, I'm lightning fast. But I'm seriously getting tired soon. OK so my job is to be this tech guy who does his thing, and that's it. But now, I'm running in meetings that have nothing to do with this work. It's ANOTHER job. I get like an e-mail few days before 'can you go there for me, I can't make it' from my boss. So I go. My boss doesn't even bother to tell me what the whole meeting is about.

So I go to these meetings, no one knows me, I don't know them, and I have to figure out secretly what it's about adn then take notes and then they ask me questions as if I know something about this and this project. Listen, I don't know ****, I just came here to take notes because I'm .. I don't even know what I'm doing here?!

So it turns out, they have contracted my boss to be some kind of an expert for these projects, right? SO they pay her to be the expert! SO why the **** am I there all the time, and then briefing my boss what happened, make suggestions and even do the tasks related to those projects??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? WTF!!!!!! I thought it was a one time deal, but seems like I¨'ll be attending all the meetings adn do all the work. OK, and then it turns out this week there's a new project that starts, guess who'¨s in it? I am! Ok, I thought I'll be doing the same tech thing for that project as well but NO, I'm not only doing the tech thing, I'm also gathering all the data for it. I'm doign interviews, planning them, observing, doing shadowing and fly on the wall and all that ****, then get back, analyze the data and make it into something meaningful. So at one point does someone else do anything in this project? Am I the only person? And this isn't even my job, what the ****?! I'm not getting paid to do this! This is EASILY a full time job alone. And this project is expanding all the time.

I ask my boss, OK what is it that you want me ot observe, what do we want to know? "A bit of everything". Yes, but .. why are we doing this? "we're interested in knowing abou tthis thing". What? So even YOU don't know, but you accepted it and you're making ME do all this work for you as extra? **** you!

I'm really pissed off, I told the former employer about it adn she was like 'yeah, that's exactly what it's like. Save yourself.'........ And the worst part is, I would go tell my boss that this is too much, this is not what my job is, but that's the bad part. My boss is a known bully, and will make my life extra hard in school for this. My boss has NO shame. But I'm pissed off, why should I do my boss' job as well. I don't see why my boss gets paid at all. And I don't see why I get paid so little.

Also it turns out, that all the staff hates my boss. They know exactly the things my boss does, so I'm the only one who can be pushed around, since I'm the only one left working for my boss. They don't even talk to my professor. That's how bad the situation is. I had to secretly talk to the former employer, because had my professor known about me talking to her, there would have been consequneces.

Every day my professor comes to me "so what's the latest update on the project". You know, I don't know, I haven't had the time to even look at it, since I'm running to do YOUR job as well. You know, I can't finish this thing, because there's too much to do. So I wish I would have known beforehand, that the professor is notorious for taking all these projects and then dumping those project on employees and not doing anything about them. And since everyone else has broken down, I'm the only one left so I get to do ALL the tasks. It's not even funny.

So why don't I just quit? Because I already gave my up old job with Nokia for this, talk about a stupid decision. I consireder the project so interesting, well guess what, I don't have the time to touch it, so there's no project for me that I was supposed to do and wanted to do. So should I quit, hey, I have to pay my rent. So I can't quit now. I have to finish my contract.

It's a nightmare. A real ****ing nightmare. My professor is also someone who will not hesitate to shout at you, call you a zero and throw you out of the room, and then not only dumping all the tasks on you because that's wht my boss does already, but then come up with tasks that make no sense and no one needs, just to make your life hard. The previous employer said she simply had to do 16 hour days with no ending, and that wasn't enough either, with that same crappy pay, and the more you'd complete, the more you'd get, it wasn't about doing your work, it was abuse, clear and hostile abuse.

It seems that every single staff member has given a statement in the past for some kind of investigation, that my professor is abusive and horrible nazi with no shame.

don't I feel lucky now. I don't know what to do.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

NO! I'M a victim! Victim of Tacc that is!!

Fight the power!

Spec.
    -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

lol Spec's thread was deleted
      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

lol
        Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
        Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Ack, sorry to hear that, Pekka. Sounds like you have a real leech of a boss. They're out there, unfortunately.

You're probably gonna have to start saying no to these "extra requests" of his.

-Arrian
          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I mean I got all these extra tasks, like for example this just came in: I have 6-7 interviews on tape, all 60min+, bad quality, and I have to write them down, make a transcript.

Ok, one hour worth of interview is about... 30+ pages, and that's all in english. So 30+ X 6-7, that's a lot for a little extra tasks while running two jobs it seems. Then I have to translate them into finnish. You know, why is this my job again? This is not my job, but this will easily take a week or two for me to do. So thanks, thanks a bunch.
            In da butt.
            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
              I mean I got all these extra tasks, like for example this just came in: I have 6-7 interviews on tape, all 60min+, bad quality, and I have to write them down, make a transcript.
              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES

Comment

Pekka, don't you have a union you can go to? This is exactly the kind of thing they're there for. I wouldn't take that crap for a minute. Take it up with the University Chancellor, call the media. Or if all else fails, quit. Take the heat and try to keep your head down.
                I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Arrian, also, my boss has nothing to lose. They've terminated the position my boss holds. Why? Because firing a professor is difficult in here, so they went for all the trouble to terminate that position. So my professor will be here for couple more months, and a known psycho, you know, she doesn't care anymore. There's nothing to lose. So I get all this crap. I get it all. And there's just so much. Sometimes in the morning I feel a bit sick physically. I feel like I have little fever but I know it's not really that, my body is just trying to stop me going there.

Ok and I get all this pressure to do the project I was hired to do, I have other people to answer as well with it. How do I explain that I haven't been able to finish it, sinc eI'm doing all the ****ing work in the house and then some?

I want a way out. I don't know a way out but I need one. I think I'll gather evidence that if she's getting paid from the project as an expert, the one I'm doing just on the side as ordered, you know, I'm busting her for it. Or, I'll tell her simply, that here's the hours I've spent doing this, so I better get paid accordingly, if not, I'm complaining, and since this would be a contract breach from YOUR side, you know.. too bad. But that has no effect really, since my professor is already fired practically.
                  In da butt.

Comment

Zoid, yeah, quit, and pay rent how? I gave up my other job for this job. What a stupid decision that was.
                    In da butt.

Comment

Well, if the boss is toast in a couple of months, why is pleasing said boss important, really?

Tell her "no" when she asks you do to stuff that isn't your job.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Use 1/4 of your pay to outsource all of your work to aneeshm.

Comment

Zoid, yeah, quit, and pay rent how? I gave up my other job for this job. What a stupid decision that was.
                          Well, then you'll have to do something about your situation. As it is now you're on the fast track to burn out city. Several friends of mine has been there and it took them 2-3 years to recover fully...
                          I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Ok, one hour worth of interview is about... 30+ pages, and that's all in english. So 30+ X 6-7, that's a lot for a little extra tasks while running two jobs it seems. Then I have to translate them into finnish. You know, why is this my job again? This is not my job, but this will easily take a week or two for me to do. So thanks, thanks a bunch.

Send it back with a memo reading "I think you've confused me with the person whose job it is to do this".

I've done that. True, you tend to end up in a shouting match with the boss in question, but if they're already widely known to be an imbecile, who cares?
                            The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

There are also more tactful ways of doing what Laz did. You might try that first, and then go his route if all else fails.

-Arrian

Comment

Working...
                              X