The atheist thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The atheist thread

I have been reading "The God Delusion" and browsing atheist web sites recently, and have formed a solid atheist belief that religion is false (false meaning filled with claims that are simply (and often obviously) false.)

I personally see the issue as so one-sided that I consider it settled, and have not created this thread as a discussion thread. The reason I have created this thread is that I find many of the atheist web sites to be extremely funny, and wanted to share the links . Also, I have a feeling that some people would not like me posting such things in the funny videos/funny pictures threads.

And now for the first link: A parable about god, religious commandments, and the whole "do as I say, you will get rewarded after death" thing : Kissing Hank's Ass
    http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Ah. I miss the unerring belief in my atheism I had in highschool. Philosophy of Religion classes really managed to undermine my diehard conviction.

At the moment, I call myself an atheist as an easy short hand.
    Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
    -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Oh no, not again.

Comment

Originally posted by Starchild
        Ah. I miss the unerring belief in my atheism I had in highschool. Philosophy of Religion classes really managed to undermine my diehard conviction.
        What good arguments are there in favour of religion? I am genuinely curious, as I said, the issue seems quite one-sided to me.
        http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

Most atheists don't bother with reading philosophical texts on God, or medieval wisdom on monastic life, etc.

That's why most of their arguments are just the kind of crap that 12-year olds ask when they're old enough to understand that litteral interpretation of sacred texts obviously doesn't work, but are yet too ignorant of culture to try to seek answers beyond common discourse.

I'm probably not a believer per se, but I reckon that St. Augustine, Aquinas, Spinoza, (and plenty others) are much more intelligent than your typical 'if God created the world then who created God ?' folks.
          In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Hell, even some communists don't even realize that marxism is about messianic materialism, i.e. a Christian-inspired idea.

Comment

Atheist

Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
              Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
              Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Comment

Atheisim is a nice thought, but as about as nice a thought as communism or utopias are.

I haven't been to any atheist sites, but I am sure they are as funny as any other fanatical site would be.
                  Monkey!!!

Comment

God isn't an utopia ?

Comment

I'm curious too, Starchild. Aside from pointing out that most of their presuppositions are not applicable to my religious beliefs, I've never found anything to make the atheists STFU and leave us alone.
                      1011 1100
                      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

to each his own...
                        yes it would appear that that would be the best alternative would it not?

ill take my God...
                        you take...erm.. your athiesm...
                        i will be a nice boy today...
                        piece
                        Order of the Fly
                        Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

I basically had to admit my limitations. While the human mind can conceive and understand the universe in all its glory and subtle beauty, anything that could be called God is outside our frame of reference. I can't prove or disprove whether such a being exists so I lead my life based on how I interpret the evidence to hand. That evidence right now seems to me to be a universe rather indifferent to our existence and where morality springs from human nature and society.

I've got no problem with people who believe in God. They've seen the evidence and interpreted it differently. Its people, atheists or fundementalists, who claim to know The Truth (tm) that get on my nerves.

I like Deism. I've got no moral problem with God starting the universe but then being actively involved afterwards raises some troubling questions for me.
                          Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
                          -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Oh, I guess you didn't hear. I'm God.
                            Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                            Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

IMO gods are for the superstitious, delusional, and brainwashed.

That being said, life is short. Which is why tolerance and the pursuit of secularism are most important.

Comment

Working...
                              X