Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you, as a meat-eater, justify the violence inherent in your food?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aneeshm

Correct. Milk is acceptable. So are eggs, if you're not strict about it. I personally don't eat eggs because of the disgust factor (it IS a chicken's abortion/foeticide, after all), but I used to earlier. This little caveat exists only for unfertilised eggs, not fertilised ones.

As such, it is very easily possible to gain all the protein you need from vegetables. It doubtless helps to have evolved a cuisine adopted to vegetarianism for over one and half millennia.
    How is an UNFERTILISED egg a chicken abortion?
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

Lovely for you. You probably dont run around in a loin cloth or paint your face with stripes either.
      Is your point that I only choose not to eat people because it's not societally acceptable?

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Beat you to the punch.

But my post didn't explain why he was wrong, leaving the door open for him to continue to make a fool of himself, which is why I am a superior poster.
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

In most human societies, I suspect that part of the reason we don't kill other other humans for food is that we organize ourselves in ways that would preclude hunting each other. We set up rules that it is wrong to kill each other and when food is adequate for everyone to eat, there is no reason to go down that path
            You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

It isn't. That's why it's compatible with a strict definition of vegetarianism. But it's a slippery slope, and I'd rather not step on to it.

I used to eat eggs earlier, and it's tough to give them up, but I try.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                I almost made that post, KH. Me too - primates & dolphins are out.

I fully acknowledge that the line between acceptable food and "intelligent animal that I think is cool" is fuzzy.

-Arrian
                How much is it absolute intelligence, and how much coolness, I wonder.

If you wont eat monkey, why not go one step beyond, just to be on the safe side, and avoid the most intelligent of the animals that your culture considers acceptable - the pig, probably? Well, I understand why not - your culture makes it easy to avoid monkey, and very difficult to avoid pig - just as my culture makes it easy to avoid pig, but difficult to avoid other red meat. Thats nothing to feel guilty about, we are all creatures of the culture we live in. But it would be a nice start if we could acknowledge that, and not try to justify our cultural givens.
                "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

meat is yummy

Comment

It isn't.
                    I personally don't eat eggs because of the disgust factor (it IS a chicken's abortion/foeticide, after all)

You, sir, are a weasel as well as an ignoramus.
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

How many of the folks attacking Aneeshm make an effort to eat cruelty-free meat?
                      Does aneeshm make an effort to eat cruelty-free produce?
                      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

It isn't. That's why it's compatible with a strict definition of vegetarianism. But it's a slippery slope, and I'd rather not step on to it.

I used to eat eggs earlier, and it's tough to give them up, but I try.
                        I just had an omelette's. It was delicious.

You are missing out, coward.
                        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Using intelligence as a weighing mechanism in ones moral calculations is perfectly acceptable.

Choosing to ignore the results of 1 because you consider some animal X to be disgusting/cool is also perfectly acceptable, and is not inconsistent behaviour.

Really, this line of reasoning you keep using just isn't very good or convincing.
                          Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                          Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

How much is it absolute intelligence, and how much coolness, I wonder.

If you wont eat monkey, why not go one step beyond, just to be on the safe side, and avoid the most intelligent of the animals that your culture considers acceptable - the pig, probably?
                            I see a quantum leap between monkey/dolphin and pig, just as I see one between monkey/dolphin and human.

Pigs are certainly significantly smarter than cows, but are not particularly distinguished relative to dog (which I would be more than comfortable eating).
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

Is your point that I only choose not to eat people because it's not societally acceptable?

I wouldnt even begin to analyze the basis for your choices based on internet posts. I just try not to do that.

I merely assert that the fact that you dont eat human beings hardly proves that your justification of meat eating isnt post hoc rationalization. Your avoidance of eating humans COULD be based on anything from staying on the right side of the law and of social acceptablity, or to cultural expectations (not the same thing).

Comment

Well, I understand why not - your culture makes it easy to avoid monkey, and very difficult to avoid pig
                                Kinda like it's easy for you to not eat deer, goat and whatever the third animal was. I note you didn't give up beef and chicken.

As for pigs, yes I'm sure part of it is that pigs - despite being relatively intelligent animals - have been considered food in our culture for a long time. It wouldn't be terribly difficult for me to avoid pig, actually. I hardly ever eat real bacon anymore, and we have pork cutlets only occasionally.

-Arrian
                                grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Working...
                                X