Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you, as a meat-eater, justify the violence inherent in your food?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Re: How do you, as a meat-eater, justify the violence inherent in your food?

Originally posted by Wycoff
    Human rights are abstract concepts based upon cognition and self awareness.
    Eat any newborn babies lately?
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

@ LOTM

Spot on.

The "it's natural" argument went out the window the minute Eve took a bite of that apple.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

Your argument is faulty. It assumes that the importance is in relative intelligence rather than absolute intelligence.
        Its not at all clear that theres any logical relationship between intelligence and consumability. Its basically a post hoc rationalization. If we found that tasty animals could do calculus, we'd come up with a different rationale, without a doubt.
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark I have resolved not to eat the meat of dear, buffalo, goat. I have managed to stick to this.
          You're missing out. Venison is delicious.
          I'm about to get aroused from watching the pokemon and that's awesome. - Pekka

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark I think the idea is that humans are beyond animals in our ability to reason ethically. Its got less to do with justice, and more to do with what we as humans aspire to being.
            What do we aspire to be? How does that aspiration necessarily preclude meat eating?

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

Its not at all clear that theres any logical relationship between intelligence and consumability. Its basically a post hoc rationalization. If we found that tasty animals could do calculus, we'd come up with a different rationale, without a doubt.
              Welcome to the world of morality
              Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
              Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom

So why don't some Hindus eat garlic or onions ?

Because they respect higher life forms ?
                Red herring. Aneeshm was asserting vegetarianism in general, not Hinduism in particular.

If I were to suggest that pigs are too intelligent too eat, would that suggest to you that I think shrimp and oysters are intelligent?

Comment

You're missing out. Venison is delicious.
                  Ive eaten venison in the past. It was ok.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: How do you, as a meat-eater, justify the violence inherent in your food?

Originally posted by lord of the mark Eat any newborn babies lately?

Seriously, what do you think human rights are, from where do they derive, and by what criteria do you apply them?

Comment

Basically, only LOTM knows the "true" morality - everyone else is just creating post hoc rationalisations to fulfill their primal desires.
                      Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                      Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom

So why don't some Hindus eat garlic or onions ?

Because they respect higher life forms ?
                        No. That's because onions and garlic are supposed to lead people to tamas, or inertness, dullness, inertia, associated with the lower emotions and mental states. Nothing to do with the sanctity of the onions or garlic themselves.

Comment

What do we aspire to be?
                          As respectful as possible of other animate life? Less bloodthirsty? More humane?

How many of the folks attacking Aneeshm make an effort to eat cruelty-free meat? How many have the slightest concern with conditions on farms and at slaughtering plants? It might suggest that things dont stop at meat eating, that theres a slippery slope to animal cruelty beyond what is necessary for meateating.

Comment

And as for Hinduism - it doesn't prohibit the eating of meat, so please don't try that stupid argument.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: How do you, as a meat-eater, justify the violence inherent in your food?

Seriously, what do you think human rights are, from where do they derive, and by what criteria do you apply them?
                              I love these minor questions.

There are obviously many opinions on that.

But none that base it purely on self awareness can ban baby eating.

Comment

Originally posted by Tacc
                                Basically, only LOTM knows the "true" morality - everyone else is just creating post hoc rationalisations to fulfill their primal desires.
                                I assert no true moralityon this question. I merely question the "its ok to eat them cause theyre dumb" assertion, at least without a fuller explanation of why that is relevant. I can think of a few, but it doesnt seem to me that most who go to that assertion have done so.

Comment

Working...
                                X