No announcement yet.

do good deeds go unrewarded?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last edited by ZEE; April 22, 2011, 08:24.
    Order of the Fly
    Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus
      Where does the phrase "nice guys finish last" come from?
      It's not because they do good deeds, it's because they put women on a pedestal, and can't get any respect from them.

By all means do good deeds, just don't expect to get a bj from it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dis

It's not because they do good deeds, it's because they put women on a pedestal, and can't get any respect from them.

By all means do good deeds, just don't expect to get a bj from it.
        Repped
        www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Butters... I mean, Professor Chaos... was flooding the world last night on the South Park rerun...

-----------------

Everything is selfish, don't worry about it AAHZ. For there to be action, there has to be a motivation, and all motivation acts on internal desires. To say, "doing good should be done just because" undermines the cause, because it denies the existance of the inherent value (to self) in the action... which is the whole reason it's "good" in the first place.

Comment

That is assuming that there is no independent definition of good.

Jon Miller
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
              That is assuming that there is no independent definition of good.

Jon Miller
              I was ignoring that part of the argument.
              B♭3

Comment

Do good deeds because they are good, I agree.

To say that you aren't rewarded for doing them is wrong though. People who do good, are better people than those who do not.

Jon Miller
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN
                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson
                  Butters... I mean, Professor Chaos... was flooding the world last night on the South Park rerun...

Of course Professor Chaos is Butters' reaction to the realisation that being nice and good is futile, as he just gets shat on from all directions, most of all by the parents who beat him into being good in the first place.

Comment

Even if there were a completely objective definition of "good", it would still hold true. You'd still have to have some internal motivation to do that "good", just as any subjective "good", before you would try to do it.

Comment

Last edited by ZEE; April 22, 2011, 08:24.
                      Order of the Fly
                      Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus
                        Of course Professor Chaos is Butters' reaction to the realisation that being nice and good is futile, as he just gets shat on from all directions, most of all by the parents who beat him into being good in the first place.
                        Well, if we're going to be philosophical about South Park... it would be an indictment of the uselessness of trying to live your life to appease (or even oppose) others, not of being nice and good.

Comment

No good deed goes unpunished.
                          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
                          X