Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Argies looking to take Falklands...

through diplomacy?

What a load of trash. The two most bloody-minded peoples in history have been the Romans and the British.

If the Limeys have fallen so far that they'll be willing to sit down with a bunch of South American pinko scum about giving up territory that British soldiers have died for in living memory then I'll become a damn nihilist. If I can't believe in British stubbornness then I might as well stop believing in anything at all.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

For the uninitiated, why do either country - much less the UK at 8,000 miles away - give two sh*ts about these islands?
    The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Maybe because the UK can't let other nations just annex its territory?
      Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
      Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Maybe because of what might be under the water within the territorial limits of the Falklands.
        Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Originally posted by Tacc
          Maybe because the UK can't let other nations just annex its territory?
          Funny, because that seems to be exactly what Britain did to Argentina in 1833...

Margaret Thatcher's government offered to hand over sovereignty of the Falkland islands at a clandestine meeting with a senior Argentinian official less than two years before the invasion of the British territory, it is revealed today.

But today's official history makes clear that Britain's claim to the Falklands is not as strong as has been made out. Sir Lawrence points out that Britain relied, not on prior discovery, but on a small settlement established in 1766 but abandoned in 1774. When Britain recognised Argentinian independence in 1825, it did so without any claim to the Falklands, which were then under an Argentinian governor living there.

Britain seized the islands by force in 1833.

Britain seizes control of the Falklands

April 2 Argentina invades the Falklands

April 5 British taskforce sets sail as diplomatic talks are started

May 2 Belgrano sunk in the first major action of the war

May 21 British military forces land on the Falklands near Port San Carlos and head towards Darwin and Goose Green

June 14 British recapture Falklands - the union flag flies over Port Stanley

Comment

Originally posted by CerberusIV
            Maybe because of what might be under the water within the territorial limits of the Falklands.
            Aquatic sheep, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by DRoseDARs

Funny, because that seems to be exactly what Britain did to Argentina in 1833...
              And we all see the result of that, so why would Britain let Argentina do it to them now?
              Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
              Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Because sheep-rearing is not enough of a growth industry to justify giving one sh*t, let alone two, over these islands 8,000 miles away.

Comment

Originally posted by DRoseDARs
                  Because sheep-rearing is not enough of a growth industry to justify giving one sh*t, let alone two, over these islands 8,000 miles away.
                  The Falkland Islands have a booming economy.

Comment

Let me guess, it's election year?
                    In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Nuclear

The Falkland Islands have a booming economy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/01/wo...hp&oref=slogin
                      Another answer with a cited source, that's all I wanted. KH's CNN article also mentions an oil exploration deal that yielded squat, so that doesn't leave much else for the islands' importance.

Comment

Re: Argies looking to take Falklands...

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                        through diplomacy?

What a load of trash. The two most bloody-minded peoples in history have been the Romans and the British.

If the Limeys have fallen so far that they'll be willing to sit down with a bunch of South American pinko scum about giving up territory that British soldiers have died for in living memory then I'll become a damn nihilist. If I can't believe in British stubbornness then I might as well stop believing in anything at all.
                        It's easy to discuss things, and politics to do so. Britain won't give up anything however.
                        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

If Canada had anything to give up I'm sure they would be equally stubborn.

Comment

Well, there's that rock between Canadiastan-proper and Greenland that likewise no one else in the world gives two sh*ts about.

Comment

Hans Island.
                              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Working...
                              X