Europe- The Atheist continent!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VJ
    France, Belgium and the Netherlands will have muslim majorities within 30 years, Sweden within 50. The era of freedom of and from religion is rapidly coming to an end in these countries.
    No they won't.

Comment

According to the CIA factbook 75% of the British population claim to belong to some sort of religion ( at least according to their government), 59% of the Dutch do also. Better than 85% of the French are claimed to have some sort of religious belief. In Belgium 75% of the population is Roman Catholic, but protestants are lumped in with the "others" including muslims and atheists.

Polls can be wrong, but so can government statistics. I would hope that european governments do a comprehensive census every decade or so and include a more detailed poll taken from a large sample of the population like the US does.
      "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman

No they won't.
        You can easily say "no", because you're not alive anymore when the time comes and you're selfish enough not to care what happens to the people you leave the world to when you die.

I don't want to live in the fundamentalist, narrow-minded and technophobic ****hole Europe is turning into

Comment

Originally posted by Brachy-Pride
          Isnt bavaria quite christian?
          Yes, almost completely. It makes for a big part of the purple color. It's Germany's Texas, you know.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
            According to the CIA factbook
            The CIA factbook is the guys that attributed their figure of ~80% of Swedes being Lutherans to official Swedish census data when there is no such thing as official Swedish census data. I'd take their figures with several helpings of salt.
            Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
            The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

The colour of Norther Ireland surprises me. Scene of one of the worst religious conflicts in the last century, and they don't really believe in God.

Asmodean
              Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

Originally posted by Asmodean
                The colour of Norther Ireland surprises me. Scene of one of the worst religious conflicts in the last century, and they don't really believe in God.

Asmodean
                I know you're probably joking anyway, but Northern Ireland doesn't have its own color on this map, it's colored with the UK what with being the same country and all.

That's sorta like talking about the color of Munich on the map.

Comment

You know what, I just realized that

Joke stands anyway though.

Asmodean
                  Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

Originally posted by VJ

You can easily say "no", because you're not alive anymore when the time comes and you're selfish enough not to care what happens to the people you leave the world to when you die.

I don't want to live in the fundamentalist, narrow-minded and technophobic ****hole Europe is turning into
                    I can easily say no because the demographic shift you are proposing is impossible. It's expounded by ideologues with a vested interest in denigrating Europe, concentrating on a continent's worth of anecdotes and cherry picked statistics.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH
                      I'm surprised the UK is as high as 30%.
                      It's all those Jedis.
                      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
                        According to the CIA factbook 75% of the British population claim to belong to some sort of religion ( at least according to their government), 59% of the Dutch do also. Better than 85% of the French are claimed to have some sort of religious belief. In Belgium 75% of the population is Roman Catholic, but protestants are lumped in with the "others" including muslims and atheists.

Polls can be wrong, but so can government statistics. I would hope that european governments do a comprehensive census every decade or so and include a more detailed poll taken from a large sample of the population like the US does.
                        You really shouldn't rely on CIA Factbook and especially not when it comes to Belgian religion statistics. Official Belgian statistics agencies don't hold regular religion surveys and most of the nominal Catholics don't practice.
                        Last edited by Colon™; March 30, 2007, 19:18.
                        DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by Asmodean
                          The colour of Norther Ireland surprises me. Scene of one of the worst religious conflicts in the last century
                          Worst? Pointless loss of life yes, but not even close to worst. A stampede in Mecca probably killed more anually.

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi

It's all those Jedis.
                            Actually, as Asmodean has noted, it's all the religious freaks in Northern Ireland artificially bumping us up to ~30%...
                            Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

That Icelands one is as high as 30% is rubbish.. The only ones who go to church are old people and weirdo's
                              When it all comes to it, life is nothing more than saltfish - Salka Valka

Comment

The Czech Republic and Estonia are the most enlightened countries in Europe, apparently.

Comment

Working...
                                X