Europe- The Atheist continent!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Europe- The Atheist continent!?

Wow, a lot of believers in Europe. I didn’t expect that, I mean look at Romania. Anyway we Slovenians have the same rate as Holland, not bad.

But that light spot south of Poland makes no sense to me whatsoever, why are there such differences in eastern Europe? Wasn’t religion uniformly suppressed in the Eastern block, so shouldn’t expect uniform rates all over?

Belief in God (Europe)
    I'm not buying BtS until Firaxis impliments the "contiguous cultural border negates colony tax" concept.

Netherlands less religious than Belgium?
    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Wasn’t religion uniformly suppressed in the Eastern block, so shouldn’t expect uniform rates all over?
      The opposite, actually — since religion was violently suppressed by the communist regimes, it only fueled a latent comeback.

If there was a lesson to draw, it would be about America's "suppression" of terrorism.
      In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

The worst thing for religion is to have a state church.

Freedom, like America, is the best.

Jon Miller
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
          The worst thing for religion is to have a state church.

Freedom, like America, is the best.

Jon Miller
          Uhh, Opium of the People ring a bell? Communist countries didn’t have a state church?
          I'm not buying BtS until Firaxis impliments the "contiguous cultural border negates colony tax" concept.

Comment

WTF are you on, Jon?

We're not in the 17th century anymore. It's not like anyone nowadays (well, in NA and Europe, that is) is forced to adhere to Roman Catholicism or Anglicanism.

Or did you mean something else?

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris

The opposite, actually — since religion was violently suppressed by the communist regimes, it only fueled a latent comeback.

If there was a lesson to draw, it would be about America's "suppression" of terrorism.
              But why are there such fluctuations?
              (look at the Czech Republic for example)

Comment

Europe is still feeling the effects of a mellennium of religiona nd politics being combined...

It is why religion is so small there. If it is suppressed, religion advances (see communist countries or early Rome).

Jon Miller
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN
                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Europe is still feeling the effects of a mellennium of religiona nd politics being combined...

It is why religion is so small there. If it is suppressed, religion advances (see communist countries or early Rome).

Jon Miller
                  Religion and Politics? Coming from an American, that’s a rather interesting comment.

Comment

Half of Finns believe in Gunderscored? I'm surprised.
                    Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                    The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Religion and politics are seperated, that is why politicians feel free to talk about their religious selves as well as their other selves.

The fact that some people vote based upon religious issues shows that we have a religiously free state.

Jon Miller
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

There were religious laws less than 100 years ago in europe. There have been some in the US (but fewer), but generally they get struck down... which is a very good thing.

Jon Miller
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by _BuRjaCi_

Religion and Politics? Coming from an American, that’s a rather interesting comment.
                          Not really. The Religious Right (which is what I assume you refer to) is a relatively recent phenomenon. The U.S. was founded largely by deists whose top priority was to keep Church and State separate at all costs.
                          1011 1100
                          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

In God we trust - That goes back to the 50's. Not recent.

Comment

Religion and politics are seperated, that is why politicians feel free to talk about their religious selves as well as their other selves.
                              Naive…

The fact that some people vote based upon religious issues shows that we have a religiously free state.
                              Perhaps.

I take it Palestinians enjoy freedom of religion, too?

Comment

Working...
                              X