The foods of Britain.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our Most famous local delicacy where i come from The Parmo

Making a Parmo involves deep-frying a flattened chicken or pork fillet in an egg and breadcrumb batter, then smothering it in Bechamel sauce before topping off with cheddar cheese (the original Parmos were topped with Parmesan cheese, hence the name) and then grilling or baking in the pizza oven. Originally veal was used but later this was replaced by pork. In more recent times chicken became an option.

Comment

That sounds like veal Parmesan.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Cornish saffron loaf, with clotted cream and strawberry jam.

Skate in black butter or with caper sauce and mashed potato.

Scallops and black pudding.

Soda bread farls with Irish butter and a good pot of strong Irish tea.

Champ or colcannon with some chopped dulse and gammon.

Venison Wellington.

Welsh drop scones.

Scots oatcakes with double cream and honeycomb.

Welsh salt marsh lamb and new potatoes with chard and laver bread.

****-a-leekie.

Mulligatawny soup.

Isle of Man kippers with toast and scrambled eggs.

Omelette Arnold Bennett.

Eton Mess.

Irish coffee.

Caudle.

Steamed leek pudding.

Steak and kidney pudding.
        Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

How come a classic british soup is censored???

Watch out!!! The soup police are everywhere!!
          Let your every day be full of joy, love the child that holds your hand, let your wife delight in your embrace, for these alone are the concerns of humanity.
          The BtS Pitboss Team Democracy Game has just started!!!
          Come and test your metal in the Apolyton Civ4 Beyond the Sword Tri-League Tournament
          Tohunga o kairākau of Southern Cross in the Warlords Pitboss Team Democracy Game, and Member of the Great Council and Curator of The Khan's Compendium for The Horde in the Civ4 Team Democracy Game

Comment

Originally posted by RobWorham

Stir in the hare blood and add a splash of port to taste, mix well and adjust the seasoning if necessary. Pour the sauce over the hare and serve with redcurrant jelly.
            Yeah, most people just don't have enough hare blood in their diet.........

Comment

Originally posted by RobWorham
              Method

Preheat the oven to 170 °C / 325 °F / Gas 3.

That's way too hot for a meal that's supposed to be slow-cooked. I bring it to a simmer on the hob, then give it 2-3 hours at 120C.

I'll dig out my full recipe.
              The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

1 skinned brown hare, plus its and liver (liver is optional).
                2 tablespoons olive oil
                100g bacon or salt pork in 2cm chunks
                A couple of large carrots
                3-4 crushed garlic cloves
                1 onion, or a few shallots
                30g butter
                1 bottle of red wine
                100 ml brandy
                A bay leaf or two
                Some thyme & parsley
                2 squares of bitter chocolate, grated (at least 70% cocoa solids)

Hack off the hare's legs, and chop the saddle into 5-6 pieces.
                Heat the oil in a big frying pan, and sweat bacon for a few minutes before adding the carrot, garlic, onion. Cook for a few minutes, then bung the lot in a big casserole.
                Add the butter to the pan, and brown the hare in it. Then it goes in the casserole along with the wine, brandy and enough water to cover everything. Add the bay, thyme and parsley. Bring it to a simmer, then bung it in the oven at 120C for 2-3 hours.

The sauce-

Take the meat out of the casserole, and keep it aside (and warm). Strain the stock it was in through a sieve, then boil to reduce it by a third.
                Take the reduced stock off the heat. Spoon a bit of the stock into the blood to warm it up and stir well. Add the chocolate to the stock, then add the blood a little at a time, stirring well as you go. Don't just slop it in- or it'll go lumpy. If you're using the liver, chop it very finely or puree it, and add it as you go. When it's all blended, simmer it then serve over the meat..
                The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

You've never heard of Cheddar or Stilton? You never heard of beer and sprits? My, what sheltered lives you Texans lead .
                  That's just Sloww

Me, I go to Central Market (foodie's version of a grocery) and get confounded by the sheer choices of fresh, well, everything! Especially the cheese wall. So much lovely cheese, so little time

And one of these days I'll be brave enough to try some hare (or duck!)
                  But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.
                  PolyCast | Girl playing Civ + extra added babble! | Yo voté en 2008!

Comment

BTW, the thread title misspelled "Teh"
                    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Please speak in the Queen's English and not l33t speak. This is, after all, a thread about British foods.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Sprouts
                        www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

bacon sandwich and a cup of tea
                          roast dinner
                          battered sausage and chips

sweet as
                          Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

Ewww, sprouts, another foodstuff I never got. Sprouts and liver would be me least favourite meal :vomit:
                            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                              Ewww, sprouts, another foodstuff I never got. Sprouts and liver would be me least favourite meal :vomit:
                              Sprouts are ace. Enjoying sprouts is the sign of a mature palate.
                              www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

They have no redeeming features, like overgrown bogies...
                                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Working...
                                X