No announcement yet.

The foods of Britain.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sure there are, I really don't look for stuff then complain that I can't find it
    "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
    -Joan Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus
      English Breakfasts - or their Scottish & Irish equivalents. Components can vary according to region and taste, but my version is:

Fried eggs, sausages, bacon, tomato, beans, toast. Coffee.

Other options include black pudding, mushrooms, fried bread, chips / potato slices and of course, tea. I don't know whether hash browns are considered an import or not.
      Minus the beans (and black pudding and fried bread among the options), this is a typical American home-town breakfast.

We probably borrowed the best of Brit/Irish food.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Speaking of Yorkshire forced indoor rhubarb:

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service
        "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
        -Joan Robinson

Comment

Dans, Americans don,t understand bacon, the stuff I ate over there wasn't bad but wasn't bacon in the style that we have it.

Also, oatcakes

You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

boiled meats
            "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
            'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by Krill
              Dans, Americans don,t understand bacon, the stuff I ate over there wasn't bad but wasn't bacon in the style that we have it.
              You mean bacon that is injected with excessive amounts of water?
              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Gourmet bacon is currently a hot item in the US and it's moving out of the specialty stores and into the big grocery store chains. Traditionally bacon was salt cured which reduced the meat as water was driven out of the pork bellies. Starting in the 1950's most of the big meat packing companies started injecting the pork bellies with salt water prior to slicing it into bacon since this 1) speed up the process and 2) all that extra water increased the weight of the bacon making the meat companies more money.

The problem is that extra water also watered down the flavor leaving us with bacon which was kind of bland and it meant consumers were paying for bacon plus water instead of just bacon. The gourmet bacons are reversing this trend and going back to the traditional style of bacon which isn't injected with salt water, is given more time to cure using just a salt rub, and is more thickly cut. That concentrates the flavors rather then diluting it with water.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Dauphin, that depends where you get the bacon from. My parents get bacon from a local butcher which has very little water in...
                  You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Can't believe nobody has mentioned Roast Beef with Yorkshire Pudding and roast veggies (Mmmm, Parsnips), with lashings of rich gravy and a dollop of horseradish sauce...
                    Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

I made a lovely batch of Cawl yesterday, which is basically the Welsh version of Irish Stew - another hearty dish!
                      Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Fish butty
                        www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Originally posted by MOBIUS
                          Can't believe nobody has mentioned Roast Beef with Yorkshire Pudding and roast veggies (Mmmm, Parsnips), with lashings of rich gravy and a dollop of horseradish sauce...
                          We were just politely leaving the great Roast Dinner for someone else.

Comment

Beef Wellington

I love the sauce between the beef and the pastry. Yum.
                            Attached Files
                            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Galis
                              Now, if I could just find Cornish pasties on this side of the pond
                              You'll find loads in Michigan.
                              The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
                                Beef Wellington

I love the sauce between the beef and the pastry. Yum.
                                I've never had one of them
                                www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Working...
                                X