The foods of Britain.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The foods of Britain.

OK, so the Brits get teased all the time about their native foods being crap but much of the UK's traditional specialties are pretty good. Let's share a few so that other people can learn more about the under appreciated culinary delights from Britain and Ireland. I'll start by naming a few.

Yorkshire forced indoor rhubarb - My own experience with rhubarb is that it is tough, chewy, and rather tart in flavor but I think I'd like to try some of this indoor rhubarb. Supposedly by taking rhubard seedlings and keeping them in a dark room or basement (with nothing more then dim candle light) the flesh becomes soft and sweet to the taste making it excellent for puddings, crumples, or pies. This is supposedly a unique practice which has just been given protected status in the EU (we'll forgo discussing what a terrible idea the EU's protectionist policies on foodstuffs is). http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/6474741.stm

Arbroath smokies - a traditional process for smoking haddock which supposedly gives the fish a wonderful woody flavor. I found a web site about Arbroath smokies but I'm not sure what makes it so different from other ways of smoking fish or meats which are used around the world. http://www.arbroathsmokies.net/

Cheeses - Artisan Cheddars, Farmhouse Cheshire, Lancashire, Stinking Bishop, Clotted Cream, Mature Blue Stilton, White Stilton with Fruit, Welsh Caerphilly, and Red Dragon are just a few of the hundreds of unique cheeses native to the British Isles and I haven't even mentioned any Irish cheese yet. Everyone goes on and on about cheeses from France, Spain, and Italy but there is a treasure trove of traditional cheeses in the UK & Ireland which are world class.

Beer & spirits - one thing the Brits were never short of was lots of good alcoholic beverages. I'll let others expand on this list.

That should be enough to get us started. What other foods from the British Isles do you think deserve special mention or which are not well known outside of the communities where they are produced?
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

I've never heard of ANY of those things.
    Can you pour cream gravy over any of it?
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Pork Pie!

It's even better with mushrooms and melted cheddar in the pie.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
        I've never heard of ANY of those things.
        Can you pour cream gravy over any of it?
        You've never heard of Cheddar or Stilton? You never heard of beer and sprits? My, what sheltered lives you Texans lead .
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

This one I have to thank Laz for introducing me too. The Cornish Pasty. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornish_pasty

It is a baked pastry which is often stuffed with a verity of different fillings. The most traditional filling is diced lamb meat, sliced potato and onion along with a mixture of spices. I understand the lowly pasty has gone haute cuisine and now can be found with curry or other exotic fillings. It's still an all British foodstuff though.

Comment

Aberdeen butteries are nice. Pity you can't get them anymore, because all the independent bakeries have shut down.

Comment

That's a recipe for Butteries.

Comment

English Breakfasts - or their Scottish & Irish equivalents. Components can vary according to region and taste, but my version is:

Fried eggs, sausages, bacon, tomato, beans, toast. Coffee.

Other options include black pudding, mushrooms, fried bread, chips / potato slices and of course, tea. I don't know whether hash browns are considered an import or not.

Comment

"To eat well in England, you should have breakfast three times a day."
                  —William Somerset Maugham (attributed)
                  One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                    This one I have to thank Laz for introducing me too. The Cornish Pasty. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornish_pasty

It is a baked pastry which is often stuffed with a verity of different fillings. The most traditional filling is diced lamb meat, sliced potato and onion along with a mixture of spices. I understand the lowly pasty has gone haute cuisine and now can be found with curry or other exotic fillings. It's still an all British foodstuff though.
                    I regular get mine from the West Cornwall Pasty Co at London Bridge or Charing Cross after a night on the booze.

Cheese and Bacon.
                    Steak and Stilton.
                    Cheese and Onion.
                    Cheese and Mushroom.
                    Chicken Balti.
                    Wholemeal.

Can't remember the others off-hand, I normally stick to them.

Comment

Bangers & Mash
                      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
                        Bangers & Mash
                        It has to be with onion gravy though.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
                          Balti.
                          An english curry dish from the 'Balti Triangle' in Birmingham - the districts of Moseley, Balsall Heath, and Sparkbrook, where I used to live.

Unfortunately, the damn thing has more coriander (cilantro) in it than there are oats in porridge, so I can't eat it.

Oh yeah, there's another fine British staple - Porridge

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin

I regular get mine from the West Cornwall Pasty Co at London Bridge or Charing Cross after a night on the booze.

Cheese and Bacon.
                            Steak and Stilton.
                            Cheese and Onion.
                            Cheese and Mushroom.
                            Chicken Balti.
                            Wholemeal.

Can't remember the others off-hand, I normally stick to them.

West Cornwall Pasty Co

Now, if I could just find Cornish pasties on this side of the pond
                            "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                            -Joan Robinson

Comment

Dude, there are tons of British specialty shops out there. A quick google search reveals three in my area. If there really aren't any in your neck of the woods then you can likely find stuff on this website:

This website is for sale! buybritish.net is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, buybritish.net has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

Working...
                              X