My friend almost died tonight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My friend almost died tonight

It's 3.30 AM now and I just got home from the hospital...

Here I was at the pub, ready to leave to go to another pub for the Monday evening dartgame when one of my best girlfriends (who happens to live just across the street) ran in, rambling about Remi (her husband), accident and braindamage. And before I finished thinking WTF I saw the policecar in front of the pub, grabbed my coat (forgot to take my other things) and jumped in with her. My friend was totally not able to speak coherently so the police woman told me what happened.

Remi had an accident, a head on collision, and was taken to the hospital with severe brain damage. They drove us to the hospital (which was in another city), kept talking to Jet just to prevent a total break-down, walked us to the room were we had to wait for further information and stayed with us the whole time, in the meanwhile doing a hell of a job keeping her (and me) going insane. They even called the cops at the accident scene if they already knew what really happened.

After a while the surgeon came in and told us what condition Remi was in. They were monitoring the pressure in his brain because there was a blood prop in there but because they kept him artificially asleep they did't know if there was any brain damage. He has broken ribs, 8 at one side, 5 at the other, his liver is damaged, his pelvis is splintered, both his legs are broken, his right arm is broken and his jaw is broken in several places. And there are some other things that I forgot

I saw him twice tonigh, first when they brought him to the operating room and later after surgery. Images I won't forget for the rest of my life.

The doctor told us that the next 48 to 72 hours will tell us if he will come back to us and if so, how.

For now, I'm just happy he is still alive and although I'm not religious I'm going to look up to the sky for the next couple of days.

And talking about life's ironies, Jet, his wife, lost her then boy-friend 13 years ago because of liver failure at the age of 39. Remi just got 39 last month...

Please God, if you are there...
    Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
    And notifying the next of kin
    Once again...

Good luck.
    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Damn. Good luck indeed
      Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

So terrible to hear this.

Best wishes...
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Is it certain he has brain damage?

Comment

Pray for the best, expect the worst, Hueij. Stay a friend through all, as you have been so far.
            I'll be remmbering all in my thoughts and prayers.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

Is it certain he has brain damage?
              No, they won't know until they let him wake up and for now they keep him asleep just to let his body rest. He was seriously undercooled when they finally sawed him out of his car. (It's below 0 Celsius this evening).

Thanks guys.
              Once again...

Comment

Good luck! I'll hope for the best.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Ouch

Best wishes for recovery.
                  With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Cripes, sounds like lots'o'fun. He's messed up pretty good.

Artificial comas (the part you mentioned about putting him to sleep artificially) are a medical practice to help protect higher brain function and hopefully prevent some brain damage.
                    The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Oh, I forgot. I don't ever want to hear anyone saying anything negative about the police again. They were the best tonight. Not only did they drive us to another city (ignoring red lights whenever possible) and talked us through the ride but they stayed with us in the hospital until we were taken care of.

These guys and girls are the best
                      Once again...

Comment

I pray for the best.

Jon Miller
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN
                        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Hueij
                          Oh, I forgot. I don't ever want to hear anyone saying anything negative about the police again. They were the best tonight. Not only did they drive us to another city (ignoring red lights whenever possible) and talked us through the ride but they stayed with us in the hospital until we were taken care of.

These guys and girls are the best
                          Not that you need to hear it right now, but you're painting with a fairly large brush there. The vast majority of peace officers are good, descent folk ... but there are ALWAYS "bad apples" in every bushel. Basing your opinion of all cops solely on your experiences tonight does no one any good any more than someone getting roughed up by the cops doing the same.

Comment

Originally posted by DRoseDARs

Not that you need to hear it right now, but you're painting with a fairly large brush there. The vast majority of peace officers are good, descent folk ... but there are ALWAYS "bad apples" in every bushel. Basing your opinion of all cops solely on your experiences tonight does no one any good any more than someone getting roughed up by the cops doing the same.
                            I know, but what I saw tonight was totally unexpected. I'm one of those "loony leftists" and have seen what cops are capable of, but those two from tonight... I have the number of one of them and I'm going to call him next week to thank him for what he did tonight.
                            Once again...

Comment

When I had my accident in Dec'00, the first cop on the scene was very polite and understanding, even though he had to cite me for "failure to yield on a left turn." He even acknowledged it was a craptacular intersection and this wasn't the first accident he'd seen there under the same conditions, but he still had to issue the ticket. However, the second cop on the scene was, shall we say, less nice.

Comment

Working...
                              X