No announcement yet.

2nd condemned Texas inmate in as many days executed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most states allow those waiting on DP who otherwise are out of appeals one final appeal based solely on DNA evidence (if there is any).
    (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
    (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
    (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

• Originally posted by _BuRjaCi_
      I should have said that I don’t want the state to have the right to kill its citizens.
      Goodbye police?

Comment

Laws that make sure nobody denies the holocaust are a (sadly) necessary violation of rights. We Europeans may seem incompetent and peaceful, but give us a decade or two and we could have a very efficient system of concentration camps up and running, our nukes could be erasing the Arab world and our armies could be trying to restore the “good old days” of European supremacy. We have a long tradition of conquest and we will need century’s to undue that. We are currently feeling quite threatened and that may sadly be a possible trigger for a change into a less… shall we say “tolerant” society.
        So either America is better than Europe because it has free speech, or America is better than Europe because its citizens aren't ready to commit genocide at a moment's notice

Comment

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker

Goodbye police?
          I don't know what its like in America, but here when a policeman kills someone (which doesn’t happen often, ever heard of non-lethal methods?) there is an inquiry into the incident. So no the police don’t have the right (per-se) to kill someone but they are authorised to use force in order to protect law abiding citizens if the result of that use of force is death of the assailant, that is a secondary effect not a primary one. This isn’t the world of Judge Dread, well at least it isn’t this side of the pond.
          I'm not buying BtS until Firaxis impliments the "contiguous cultural border negates colony tax" concept.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker

So either America is better than Europe because it has free speech, or America is better than Europe because its citizens aren't ready to commit genocide at a moment's notice
            No. We Europeans are better because we know we are ready to commit genocide at a moment's notice, you guy's don't. That’s why you don't consider anti-Semitic speech as something that causes immediate harm.
            I'm not buying BtS until Firaxis impliments the "contiguous cultural border negates colony tax" concept.

Comment

I don't know what its like in America

but here when a policeman kills someone (which doesn’t happen often, ever heard of non-lethal methods?) there is an inquiry into the incident. So no the police don’t have the right (per-se) to kill someone but they are authorised to use force in order to protect law abiding citizens if the result of that use of force is death of the assailant, that is a secondary effect not a primary one. This isn’t the world of Judge Dread, well at least it isn’t this side of the pond.

So you do think the state has the right to kill people!

Comment

• Originally posted by Arrian

You can't take killing back. You can free someone who has been incarcerated (and, though you cannot give them the time back, you can at least attempt to compensate them).

-Arrian
                In countries with law-abiding justice systems (ie. all western countries and some others), the theoretical probability of the prisoner breaking out and killing another innocent is much, much higher than the theoretical probability of the prisoner being innocent, if the prisoner has been sentenced for > 1 violent crimes.

Comment

• That's an interesting assertion. It's plausible, but unproven.

edit: and to some there's the additional question: is it worse for the state to execute an innocent person or, through inaction (or insufficient action) allow an innocent person to be killed?
                  Last edited by Kuciwalker; March 27, 2007, 10:51.

Comment

• Other states are abolishing the death penalty, my state is putting in an express lane - Ron White

Comment

• edit: and to some there's the additional question: is it worse for the state to execute an innocent person or, through inaction (or insufficient action) allow an innocent person to be killed?
                      The former is worst. The latter is still bad. That seems pretty straightforward to me.

-Arrian
                      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• An innocent person is dead either way, as a result of our policy.

Comment

• Oh hi.
                          Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                          Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

• The last one I said was on deck has been executed.
                            Took 20 minutes due to searching for a good vein.
                            Next one scheduled is for tomorrow.
                            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Do you enjoy this, Sloww?

-Arrian
                              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• Certainly not. It means there was an innocent person or perspns that doesn't celebrate a new day with their loved ones; all because of the murderer. Every single day is damaged and spoiled by someone who just decided to kill. How could I possibly enjoy what it means?
                                I'd enjoy no murderers, is what I would enjoy.
                                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                                X