• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd condemned Texas inmate in as many days executed

We may break the record.

06:37 PM CST on Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Associated Press

HUNTSVILLE, Texas – More than a quarter-century after he and a buddy walked into a Houston convenience store to hold up the place, Joseph Nichols was executed Wednesday evening for the fatal shooting of the 70-year-old store clerk.

Asked by the warden if he had a final statement, Nichols adamantly said, "Yes, Yes I do."

Then he referred to a supervisory corrections officer on death row by name and uttered a string of obscenities about her.

"That's all I got to say," he said.

He winked toward where his parents and three brothers watched. He was pronounced dead at 6:19 p.m., seven minutes after the lethal dose began.

The lethal injection was the second carried out in Texas in as many days and the eighth this year in the nation's busiest capital punishment state.

Nichols, 45, and a longtime friend, Willie Ray Williams, were both convicted and condemned for the Oct. 13, 1980, slaying of Claude Shaffer. Williams pleaded guilty and was executed in 1995.

Nichols' appeals and protests from death penalty opponents have focused on the fact that one bullet wound killed Shaffer and that Williams was prosecuted and convicted of being the shooter. They noted that Nichols, who said he'd fled the store when the fatal shot was fired, also was labeled as the shooter by Harris County district attorneys who prosecuted the case.

"One bullet and two shooters," said Nichols' lawyer, J. Clifford Gunter III. "There's no getting around that."

Prosecutors defended Nichols' conviction, saying Texas' law of parties makes non-triggermen just as culpable in crimes like Shaffer's murder.

Gunter took the case to the U.S. Supreme Court, which previously had rejected Nichols' appeals. Gunter argued, however, that the court had rejected piecemeal appeals and needed to delay the punishment to look at "cumulative errors," saying Nichols had been deprived "of a complete and meaningful post-conviction review of his case."

But about 90 minutes before Nichols was scheduled to die, the high court turned down his appeal. The Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles earlier this week rejected a commutation request.

Nichols was tried twice. At his first trial, jurors were unable to agree on the death penalty and a mistrial was declared. Nichols missed by 30 days a change in Texas law that would have given him an automatic life term if jurors were unable to agree on a death sentence.

It's the second trial that Nichols' lawyers are accusing prosecutors of changing tactics, suppressing evidence and arguing he was the shooter so jurors would be more inclined to decide on a death sentence, which they did.

"They had a parties charge (to the jury)," said Roe Wilson, who handles capital case appeals for the Harris County District Attorney's Office, denying any improper manipulations of evidence. "They were told the prosecution thought Nichols was the shooter, but there was no ballistics evidence."

Both Nichols and Williams told police they shot toward Shaffer, and jurors heard testimony from a girlfriend of one of the shooters that when Nichols returned to their car outside the store, he said he thought he shot the victim in the chest.

"They knew both people said: 'I shot toward him,"' Wilson said, referring to the jury. "And even if Nichols wasn't actually the one who hit him, under the law of parties Nichols was still guilty."

The fatal bullet could not be recovered for ballistics tests.

"I never denied being there," Nichols said recently from death row. "I'm not telling you I'm not guilty of anything."

But he insisted that when Williams fired the fatal shot, "I had already left."

Nichols dropped out of high school when his girlfriend became pregnant, then married her.

"You've got two kids trying to play parents, trying to be adults before our time, and I end up going to the streets," he said.

In the robbery, he said Williams "got some change. I got nothing."

He was 20 when he arrived on death row.

"Honestly, I thought I'd be dead at 25," he said, describing his years in prison as good and positive. "I was able to grow and do a few things, experience life and meet different people.

"I don't want to die, but I've come to terms. No doubt, I'm regretful."

Tuesday evening, Robert Perez, 48, who prosecutors said was a high-ranking officer in the notorious Mexican Mafia prison gang, received lethal injection for a double killing in San Antonio in 1994. Perez had been linked to more than a dozen other slayings in the mid-1990s in San Antonio.

Three more Texas inmates have execution dates this month. Next is Charles Nealy, 42, set to die March 20 for the 1997 slaying of Dallas convenience store clerk Jiten Bhakta, 25. A second store employee also was killed in the robbery.

Joseph Nichols
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

You must be so proud to kill so many people. I wonder what Jesus would say to you.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

You make it sound like I'm Billy the Kid or something.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
        You must be so proud to kill so many people. I wonder what Jesus would say to you.
        This guy will be missed

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
          Don't listen to that godless commie?

ACK!
          Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

More than a quarter-century after he and a buddy walked into a Houston convenience store to hold up the place, Joseph Nichols was executed Wednesday evening for the fatal shooting of the 70-year-old store clerk

What a pathetic excuse for a deterrent.
            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Penalty. Not deterrent. Some of you continue to make that disconnect.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                More than a quarter-century after he and a buddy walked into a Houston convenience store to hold up the place, Joseph Nichols was executed Wednesday evening for the fatal shooting of the 70-year-old store clerk

Some of us don't really care about the deterring effect of dp.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                  Penalty. Not deterrent. Some of you continue to make that disconnect.
                  What is the point of a death penalty if it is neither:

a) Significantly more protective of society than imprisonment
                  b) An effective deterrent

Other than simple vengefulness, that is?
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

Some of us don't really care about the deterring effect of dp.
                    Then (assuming you support it) why do you support it?
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

it may well be, but as a SCIENTIST youd know that quoting an individual failure of deterrence is neither here nor there.

Now there are quantitative studies of various sorts, but theyre done by lesser sorts like criminologists, political scientists, and sociologists. So they can be dismissed.

Going by anecdotes, there are dozens of people in Texas who havent commmited murder, proving the DP a fine deterrent
                      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

it may well be, but as a SCIENTIST youd know that quoting an individual failure of deterrence is neither here nor there.
                        Actually, this is not simply an anecdote. It's an anecdote which is normative for the current state of affairs as a statistical matter. This is an issue which I've looked at in some depth, by the way. The DP as currently practiced (even in Texas) takes far too long and is far too rarely used to be effective deterrent.

There's something like a 2% chance you'll actually be executed if you kill somebody in Texas, and it takes decades before they get around to it.

Anybody who thinks this is going to deter a typical criminal needs their head examined.
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

LOTM, you seriously need to stop following me around if all you're going to be doing is posting weak-ass replies. Bring it or go home...
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Actually, this is not simply an anecdote. It's an anecdote which is normative for the current state of affairs as a statistical matter. This is an issue which I've looked at in some depth, by the way. The DP as currently practiced (even in Texas) takes far too long and is far too rarely used to be effective deterrent.

There's something like a 2% chance you'll actually be executed if you kill somebody in Texas, and it takes decades before they get around to it.
                            If 25 years in prison is a deterrent, why wouldnt 25 years in prison followed by the DP be one?
                            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

If you're going o use the death penalty the ****ing use it. You need to be killing an order of magnitude more people, and you need to do it in a reasonable timeframe.

If your balls shrink at the thought of killing a thousand people a year in Texas (with some small though not insignificant portion of them being innocent) then you need to just get out of the business entirely.

It's like watching a poker player who has enough brass to get himself in trouble, but not enough to get himself out of it.

Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                              X