X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BlackCat

Wrong qoute ? Doesn't make much sense.
    They needed outsiders to donate money for buying the building from the Fundies so they probably didn't have money to pay rent.

Is that better?
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious

They needed outsiders to donate money for buying the building from the Fundies so they probably didn't have money to pay rent.

Is that better?
      I want a sailboat but can't afford one. This prevents me from being"who I want to be". Should I riot demanding the government will give me one?

Also will you join me on the barricades and "speak for me"?
      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• You've made your choice to keep your ass in line. You don't need me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Flubber

I want a sailboat but can't afford one. This prevents me from being"who I want to be". Should I riot demanding the government will give me one?
          No, you should steal one from a marina.
          Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious
            You've made your choice to keep your ass in line. You don't need me.
            But kid my sailboat is just like this meeting place. It is not a necessity. It is not necessary for survival-- heck according to the Danes, it wasn't the accomodation for these folks.

So the inability to pay rent for a building is irrelevant. Lots of people want all kinds of amenities they can't afford. Sometimes government will provide them . . . sometimes they won't .

But rioting and proclaiming a right to have your own meeting building. That just goes to far.
            You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Originally posted by General Ludd

No, you should steal one from a marina.

and mount a machine gun to fight off any supposed "owner" that might reclaim it ??

But shouldn't the government give me one? After all I really want one.

Comment

• Yeah, dangnabit, I want a free rehearsal and recording studio! These damn capitalists expect me to pay for it at the moment. Taxpayers should pay for me to have free access to rehearsal and recording facilities.

It's not fair! I should start a riot and accuse the police of fascism if they stop me!

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackCat

Nope, nothing to do with lots of poor people that hasn't a place to live. As far as I know, noone had their address there. Most of the users were teenagers that still lived home with mommy and daddy while others were students/workers/artists with their own college rooms or appartments.

It's not an housing but a socalled "Folkets Hus", wich many danish cities have. They were build by the unions as meeting places typically in the early 1900's. They typically has some administrative office areas and one or two large rooms used for parties and political meetings. The current building had two such.
                  As I suspected. They are not now without a place to sleep or eat. They've lost their social/political gathering place. They could take the money they've received in donations and buy a new one, but that is unacceptable to them for ideological reasons, apparently.

Reverse the situation in your mind, Kid. The fundie group is granted the use of the building for free in 1982. The house is sold to a progressive youth group (perhaps, for fun, we'll make it a gay group) recently. The Church group refuses to surrender the building to the "spawn of Satan" and barricades themselves inside. The matter is brought before the courts. The youth group wins. The Church group vows to fight on. The cops come in and evict them. The fundies call in "brothers in faith" from other countries to protest. The protests turn violent ("wrath of God!").

The youth group prevails in the end, tears down the building and erects a gay counseling center (?) on the spot.

Would you be backing the fundies in that scenario? I wouldn't.

-Arrian
                  grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• Arrian

I made a reverse the parties argument 500 posts ago. Like you I would support the building owner regardless of ideology

Comment

• Originally posted by Flubber

But kid my sailboat is just like this meeting place. It is not a necessity. It is not necessary for survival-- heck according to the Danes, it wasn't the accomodation for these folks.

So the inability to pay rent for a building is irrelevant. Lots of people want all kinds of amenities they can't afford. Sometimes government will provide them . . . sometimes they won't .

But rioting and proclaiming a right to have your own meeting building. That just goes to far.
                      You aren't going to riot Flubber. There are plenty of legal things for you to do to get a sailboat.

Comment

• There are peaceful, legal ways for this youth group to get another meeting place. But they rejected that path and chose violence.

Which, in turn, is what led me to side with the authorities against them.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• Originally posted by Arrian

As I suspected. They are not now without a place to sleep or eat. They've lost their social/political gathering place. They could take the money they've received in donations and buy a new one, but that is unacceptable to them for ideological reasons, apparently.
                          Well every action has a reaction. It is what it is.

Comment

• There are generally a range of reactions possible to any given action. Some may be judged to be better than others, depending on your moral code.

-Arrian

Comment

• Originally posted by Arrian
                              There are peaceful, legal ways for this youth group to get another meeting place. But they rejected that path and chose violence.

Which, in turn, is what led me to side with the authorities against them.

-Arrian
                              You're generous. I sided against them when I learned they were acting indignant over not getting something for nothing. Hippie...hatred...rising...
                              1011 1100
                              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

• Hippies are usually mostly harmless. To me, they stepped outside of what I understand to be "hippy" when they got violent.

-Arrian

Comment

Working...
                                X