Help me get a new cellphone...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
    I would never buy an Apple product. I'm not stupid. I'd also never say "nyet". I'm not a goddman commie.
    The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

If you like the KRZR, go for it. I'm not a fan of it simply because it looks unreasonably tall.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Thanks for responding Asher, but

*sob*

Stop focusing on the phone people! Ignore the type of phone and please tell me if I'm going to have any trouble just buying a phone (any GSM phone, doesn't have to be the KRZR) from a third party and taking it to Cingular/AT&T! I don't currently have a SIM card phone so one way or another I'll need to get one. Can I do it third party and get a phone of my choosing (as long as it's compatible) or am I going to have to bite down on the pillow and be buggered dry by Cingular/AT&T?

Comment

Well how would I know?

I don't care about American carriers.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Are Canadiastan cell carriers like Euro carriers in having a free market for cell phones or like US carriers in having you chained to a service unless you buy a new phone each time?

Comment

Dunno, my carrier doesn't use SIM cards.

Comment

Oh, well I'm aware of the non-GSM standards but GSM is what's pretty much what's used here. *sigh*

Comment

GSM is virtually only used by Cingular/AT&T state-side. T-Mobile too, I guess.

It is teh sux. So slow! EDGE sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                    what the fuck
                    quoted for skirting the rules

cunt
                    "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by DRoseDARs
                      Thanks for responding Asher, but

*sob*

Stop focusing on the phone people! Ignore the type of phone and please tell me if I'm going to have any trouble just buying a phone (any GSM phone, doesn't have to be the KRZR) from a third party and taking it to Cingular/AT&T! I don't currently have a SIM card phone so one way or another I'll need to get one. Can I do it third party and get a phone of my choosing (as long as it's compatible) or am I going to have to bite down on the pillow and be buggered dry by Cingular/AT&T?
                      As long as it's an unlocked GSM phone, you'll have no problems. Take the SIM card out of your old phone and put it into the new one. If you need a new SIM card, you can get one with a cheap/free Cingular Pay As You Go phone and have them port your current number over to it.
                      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

*sob*

Maybe I'm not being clear (or I'm being dense ... or both); let me try rewording:
                        LordShiva, as stated in the original post I DO NOT HAVE A SIM CARD, I have an old pre-SIM analog cell phone. If I buy a third party phone, walk into a Cingular store with both my old analog non-SIM card phone and my newly purchased* third party GSM SIM card phone, is Cingular going to throw a fit? Given I have an analog phone, I already need to be issued a SIM card where none currently exists. Is Cingular going to give/sell me a standalone SIM card with my current cell number on it that I can put into a compatible phone I've bought* from a third party or am I going to be forced to buy the phone/card combo from Cingular?

This probably would have been easier if I had just gone to the Cingular store, but I don't trust them to give me unbiased information on whether or not I should buy a phone from them instead of a third party. Methinks they'd like to make a commission off of me...

I really do appreciate the input (and spam ) from everyone, but you're killing me here!

*I haven't bought any phone yet; this is hypothetical in order to decide what course of action I need to take before the March 31st deadline to switch.

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
                          If you need a new SIM card, you can get one with a cheap/free Cingular Pay As You Go phone and have them port your current number over to it.
                          THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES

Comment

So Cingular will give/sell me a standalone SIM card, one orphaned from a phone until I put it into one?

Comment

I don't know about that. You can ask them, and if they won't, just get on with a phone.

Comment

I suppose that's as close to a concrete yes or no I'm going to get short of physically going into the Cingular store and asking.

However this turns out, thank you all...

Comment

Working...
                                X