The rationale behind discrediting Liberal Arts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MRT144
    I don't know at what point people learn this; being concerned about things that don't affect you, you don't have control over, and will most likely never have control over, is a waste of time.
    So ... why are you arguing about KH's feelings on the matter? You don't honestly expect to convince him, do you?
    Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
    The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

• how has the english department recieving funding from grant money from the physics department obviously impacted physics department, adversely?
      "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
      'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

• I just don't understand how he thinks that it doesn't affect me when in fact I deal with research budget constraints all the time. I'd love to double the computing capacity I have available, but it's not going to happen. Might be possible if my prof had an extra 5000$.

I also don't understand why he thinks I'll never have a say in this. I'm more likely than most people here to be involved in university administration at some point in my life...
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by Last Conformist

So ... why are you arguing about KH's feelings on the matter? You don't honestly expect to convince him, do you?
          concern and discourse are different.
          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse
            I just don't understand how he thinks that it doesn't affect me when in fact I deal with research budget constraints all the time. I'd love to double the computing capacity I have available, but it's not going to happen. Might be possible if my prof had an extra 5000$.

I also don't understand why he thinks I'll never have a say in this. I'm more likely than most people here to be involved in university administration at some point in my life...
            I think you're included in faculty and administration. Is asher?

Comment

how has the english department recieving funding from grant money from the physics department obviously impacted physics department, adversely?
              What the **** are you talking about? Do you think we have unlimited budgets? We run into budget constraints all the time. This limits the research we do.
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• I think you're included in faculty and administration

I'm not a faculty member. Not even close.
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Then complain to the administration about the redistribution. Why are you target the recipients of it?

Comment

I think you're included in faculty and administration

I'm not a faculty member. Not even close.
                    Youre a grad student esssential getting paid to research rather than an undergrad student paying to learn.

Comment

concern and discourse are different.
                      So, you're discoursing about you have no concern whatsoever for? You don't care how the discussion goes, what anyone says, if your words are understood or responded to?

If the answer is 'yes', I suggest you jerk off instead. It's more rewarding.

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                      The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

• ???

If somebody's getting our money and I think they're wasting it then I shouldn't complain about their waste?
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Youre a grad student esssential getting paid to research rather than an undergrad student paying to learn.
                          Doesn't mean I'm faculty. I'm not even considered an employee.
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by Last Conformist

So, you're discoursing about you have no concern whatsoever for? You don't care how the discussion goes, what anyone says, if your words are understood or responded to?

If the answer is 'yes', I suggest you jerk off instead. It's more rewarding.
                            IVe already had sex twice today, I dont have the need to jerk off.

I do care how the discussion goes from the perspective of exercising my mind with people smarter than me.

Comment

• Arguing in bad faith, in other words. Well, it's a proud online tradition ...

Comment

???

If somebody's getting our money and I think they're wasting it then I shouldn't complain about their waste?
                                your opinion of waste is subjective though. From what I can gather though, you view the principle of funding things you dont agree with or find wasteful on your dollars to be bad.

I think theres a time and a place for a lot of things in life. an example is federal government outlays poor states from tax income from rich states. I disagree with this for the most part but there are indeed times where this is a good thing.

You only report on the bad things the Liberal Arts programs produce like gepap and agathon.

Comment

Working...
                                X