Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Politically Correct language goes overboard:

GLBT: Shorthand for GLBTQ2IA.

GLBTQ2IA: The acronym for Gay, Lesbian, Bi, Transgendered, Queer, Questioning, Intersex, Allies. “This is coming from the youth movement, the college campuses, it has not seeped into the whole community at this point,” says Baim, who at the Windy City Times uses GLBT, an acronym the New York Times has not yet seen fit to print.

Hir (hirs): Gender neutral for him and her. At Wesleyan University, incoming freshmen are instructed to use gender-neutral pronouns in campus correspondence. As one person wrote on the university’s online Anonymous Confession Board, “I am usually attracted only to people of hir original gender, rather than hir intended gender. As such, I’m afraid that I’m, like, viewing hir wrong, or not respecting hir wishes or something.”

Ze: Gender neutral for he or she. As Mary Boenke writes on the PFLAG (Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays) Web site: “When talking with Leslie Feinberg, noted transgender author, I asked Leslie which pronouns to use. Ze shrugged hir shoulders and said ze didn’t care.”

Stupid inventions.

WTF?!?
    Order of the Fly
    Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Maybe it would be best if global warming destroys civilization.
      Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

Comment

Ze shrugged hir shoulders and said ze didn’t care.”
        Sounds like a bad German accent
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I thought that too
          Blah

Comment

Could even be a line from Arnie in "Terminator"...could be a soupcon Austrian
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Gender-neutral pronouns might sound silly to you, but if you're actually used to speaking a language that has them (and moreover if you're a geek with a fondness for precise expression anyway), not having them in English is a PITA sometimes. It's not about political correctness, it's about being able to succinctly say what you mean. To me, "he" is male and "she" is female. If I am, say, talking about a person whose gender is unknown or irrelevant, I find it awfully inconvenient to use "he or she" and simply wrong (not wrong in a moral way but wrong since it's not what I mean) to just use one of the pronouns.
              This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

You can get around it, rather than "What is she doing?" you could use "What is x doing?"...
                Speaking of Erith:

Comment

what is IT doing?
                  umm.... sorry
                  Order of the Fly
                  Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                    Sounds like a bad German accent
                    Are the Germans trying to take over the English language?
                    This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

B♭3

Comment

The gender-neutral nouns are probably a pain in the rear for the French, Spanish, etc., too, but we ain't gonna change 'em. Inanimate objects have no gender. People do. Deal with it. Grr.
                        1011 1100
                        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                          You can get around it, rather than "What is she doing?" you could use "What is x doing?"...
                          Sure. You can work around it. You can use "x", you can use "one", you can use "they", you can use "it", you can use "he or she". You can reword your sentences to avoid or lessen the impact of these workarounds - inappropriate tone, confusion about number, interference with other pronouns, wrong gender, etc. In short, it's not an impossible problem to work around...

... it's just that you could solve it once and for all by using gender-neutral pronouns. Maybe it's Sapir-Whorf at work – to me it seems obvious that you need them, and I'm easily annoyed when I can't use them.
                          This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Hir (hirs): Gender neutral for him and her

This is not gender neutral.
                            Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                            Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Y'know, one could follow a few centuries of English usage and use "they" as the epicene 3rd sg pronoun.
                              Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                              The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Working...
                              X