Most well-known person alive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most well-known person alive

Who's the person known to the most people in the world today, do you think - in terms of people being able to identify that person from being shown their picture?

For this purpose we have to imagine that people's pictures would be plain portraits; so no regal or papal clues for kings and popes, etc. to cue people in on who they are.

Is it George W. Bush, Bill Clinton? A guy like Pelé, or maybe some other sports personality? Pope Benedict XVI is an unlikely candidate I think, too new on the job for him to be the most well-known face out there. Neil Armstrong, sadly, is not known to too many people these days, not even by name only, or so I'm afraid.

And one has to remember that for a person to be known by (possibly) billions, they'd have to have made themselves known in a wide range of cultures, not just the "Western" one that we're familiar with.

I think I'll go with Queen Elizabeth II. On the throne since 1952, nominal head of the Commonwealth of Nations, and portrayed in so many contexts and for such an extended period of time, I say she is the one that most people would recognize.

Let's have your suggestions.

God
    www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Michael Jackson
      Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

Winston from Denmark but really thinks he's from Texas.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

What?

I'd say Paul McCartney. Michael Jackson, that is one to consider. Elvis.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I'd say Paul McCartney.

You mean the Scissor Sisters song?
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Elizabeth isnt that famous, I think if you made a video asking people on the street "Whats the name of the Quuen of England?" you would find many funny answers.

Bush, Bin Laden (if he has not died), the Pope (1/6 of Mankind surely knows him), Michael Jackson, Madonna are more famous imo
              I need a foot massage

Comment

Hm, I heard Elvis wasn't doing too well lately.

Maybe the most well-known is some Indian movie star or a Chinese ping pong-player we've never heard of.

Comment

no
                  I need a foot massage

Comment

George W. Bush would definitely top the list. I think any POTUS, during their term, is the most recognized person in the world.

Comment

Pekka.

wtf...
                      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Doddler!
                        www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Hulk Hogan
                          Order of the Fly
                          Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Hey, most well-known would mean that the person would have to be well-known in the really populous countries, too. Like China or India. I think that pretty much rules out people like Elvis. He's hardly an icon over there. Bush sounds like the most likely candidate, because he appears in the news in most countries very often.

I'm sure you can find people even in the US who wouldn't recognize Bush - but I doubt these people would, while not knowing Bush, know Elizabeth or the Pope.
                            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

I'm not even sure I'd be able to identify Madonna from her portrait. And Michael Jackson.. that's a ridiculous notion. Only 9 people, 7 of them renowned surgeons, know what he actually looks like.

And I don't think anywhere near one billion people could identify Pope Benedict without his wearing the robes, hat & cane..

Comment

Working...
                              X