Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could we take out China's nuclear capabilities with a first strike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by b etor
    which makes me 43.
    Is this stupid "joke" still going on?

To me, you are ALL fictious characters. If someone wants to be a teen girl on here, I'll go with that. If they say they are a 22 year old homosexual crossdresser, I'll go with that . heck if they say they really are "Mork from Ork-- I won't dispute THAT either.

Whether people are really what they say ?? Frankly I don't care
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Go to school b etor.

Real teenagers have school.
      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
        Now, to make an actual guess, I'd hazard that Chinese missile preparedness is not necessarily everything you might expect it to be. I would give a US first strike a significantly greater than 50/50 chance of taking out all of the Chinese missiles capable of hitting the US before they could launch. When you include the very real possibility of launch failure, flight failure and command and control failure, I would say that the Chinese would have a 10% chance or less of actually vapourising a US city.
        I think this argument is sound, except that in a situation where it were likely that we would try to take out China's nuclear capabilities, it's highly likely they would ... upgrade their preparedness

The hard part with nukes (once you have the tech to build ICBMs) is the uranium/other enriched product, which they have enough to essentially have MAD capability assuming preparedness. Thus I wouldn't assume we could take out their entire capability

And I highly doubt we could get 20 B2s over in range of China without them noticing... it's much more likely we could get subs in range, but assuming they put a decent number of missiles near Tibet and whatnot, that wouldn't help enough...
        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

You're understating the difficulty of building large numbers of launch vehicles capable of reaching across the entire Pacific.

China is probably in the process of doing so right now, but it's a long, difficult, expensive process.

It is taking them years to significantly upgrade their capacity. It does not happen overnight.
          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Killing it is the new killing it
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Didnt China historically build many intermediate range missiles to deter the USSR? Assuming they have a bunch of those,it raises the question of whether the threat of China nuking Tokyo, or Anchorage, or Oahu, or all three is enough to deter the US from launching a first strike, even leaving aside the likelihood of something surviving that could hit the lower 48.
            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

China's military capabilities seem to be consistently overestimated in popular perception.
              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
              AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
              AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
              DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

China's military capabilities seem to be consistently overestimated in popular perception.

QFT
                KH FOR OWNER!
                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

The thing about China is that if they were nuked, so what? They'd look at it privately as reducing the population. "Over there. That girl's university. Put two on it, please."
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Interesting article. In that light, Russia needs a partner. Makes it easier to understand people like our ex chancellor.

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthy
                      Interesting article. In that light, Russia needs a partner. Makes it easier to understand people like our ex chancellor.
                      Schroeder? What do you call your proper chancellor, you know your version of Gordon Brown?
                      www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Why do you know nothing.

Comment

Working...
                        X