any israelis want to translate this song

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

j --- 2:12

In the vulgate the OT texts were (By Jerome) translated from the hebrew texts and not from the septuagint

"Be astonished, O ye heavens, at this, and ye gates thereof, be very desolate, saith the Lord. "

A less theatrical one

"Be amazed at this, O heavens, and shudder with sheer horror, says the LORD.
    "

Latin

"obstupescite caeli super hoc et portae eius desolamini vehementer dicit Dominus"
    I need a foot massage

Comment

Originally posted by Brachy-Pride
      j --- 2:12

In the vulgate the OT texts were (By Jerome) translated from the hebrew texts and not from the septuagint

"Be astonished, O ye heavens, at this, and ye gates thereof, be very desolate, saith the Lord. "

A less theatrical one

"Be amazed at this, O heavens, and shudder with sheer horror, says the LORD.
      "

Latin

"obstupescite caeli super hoc et portae eius desolamini vehementer dicit Dominus"
      Even if Jerome was translating from the hebrew, Im assuming he was familiar with the Greek text, and if there was a word whose sense was unclear in the Hebrew, he would have been influenced by the Greek text. Just as Christian translations into English, made directly from the Hebrew, are influenced by Jeromes translation into Latin. And some recent translations under Jewish auspices into English, are influenced by the Buber-Rosenzweig translation into German.
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
        BTW, I've found a place to get funkier Israeli music. Last night POTM and i found Isramusic.com, a French site with an internet radio station playing a mix of Israeli music (some oldies like Lu Yehi, but also Hebrew rap, a Hebrew Macarena, etc, etc)

Isramusic is a website that shares useful knowledge and insights for everyone about finance, investing, insurance, wealth, loans, mortgages, and credit.
        You're so fresh and up tempo

Comment

Originally posted by Sirotnikov

You're so fresh and up tempo
          Fresh, clean, and articulate. Maybe I should run for President?
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

President of Israel?

finally a worthy candidate

Comment

Working...
            X