Jobs, Jobs, Jobs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jobs, Jobs, Jobs

I got jobs man. I just contracted myself to another job. I'm already monthly paid from research assistant thingie, it's not much, but now I get to do some 'consulting' as well, paid by the hour. How much should I ask for? It doesn't take too many hours I reckon, anywhere from 20 to 30 hours maybe, the whole process.

I already said 30 euros per hour is too little. Of course I'd accept 15 euros per hour as well, since I need the money, and this job is easy for me, I don't have to put much effort. So what would you suggest? It is basically a service, I was recommended by my department so they'll pay me what I ask, if it's reasonable. What is reasonable? I think they're ready to go over 30 euros.

Damn these jobs, 2 jobs simultaniously, but I need some action, so I applied for a great job, waiting to see if I get it or not. This is crazy. I am crazy. But soon I'm getting paid. Bling bling *****es!
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

I thought this was another Apple thread.

Comment

What are you consulting about?
      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

I'm consulting about information systems. The current stuff they have is way too complex, it is consisted of many customized systems, and I basically tell them how their stuff works now, some of the core operations, and how to make it better. It is a public sector entity, so it's not like they'll pay me 100 euros per hour. Also, I'm a student and one of the points is to get it done cheaper because of that so .. otherwise I'd ask for something like 60 euros per hour plus some kind of one time fee for it all as extra.

Also, they won't actually build new system around my words. It's a huge entity, and every person in this country are in their systems, so... and if they did, I'd ask for a LOT of money. But since my job is only to explain them how their system now works (it's not trivial, that's why they don't know, it is too complex, I agree), and what it means in terms of storing data etc. Then I explain how they can simplify it, make it better and more reliable. I reckon 20 to 30 hours. 15 to 20 hours of finding out how it actually does work adn the complexity of it, 1 to 5 hours of figuring out better ways, and few hours of actual speaking to the audience.
        In da butt.
        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

Keep your expenses (for traveling, food, whatever) in consideration, and add that to whatever you want to net from the work.

Comment

Well, the place is next to me (how convinient ), plus, it's not a.. 9 to 5 job. My current job isn't like that either, so I can do these two things well, plus still have lots of free time. Things rule.
            In da butt.

Comment

Since you already have another job ask for a lot. If you don't get it you can still pay your bills.
              I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
              - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

I figure this is the right way as well. The point is, that.. this is kind of like my first 'good thing' as far as hourly pay goes, and where I get to be the expert and others will BOW TO ME! MUHAHAHA!!

Yes, the point was, that there's lots more where this came from. I know why I was recommended to this thing. That's because I'm in good graces of my professor. And since the Uni is in turmoil, I've been sitting tight, and it pays off now, as in my loyalty means, that all jobs and opportunities that goes to my professor gets forwarded to me first and I get the first picks. I've denied few offers in the past, but this one I'll take. So these babies keep on coming. So I want to do this, and then I get more offers later. And this doesn't take a lot of effort from my part, I kind of know the systems they have, so it's more like blaablaablaa and so on, I can do it.

I want to get the maximum amount of money I can. I made it known to my professor that I feel I should get more money, like just in general (yeah I know, don't mention), and I think the current salary is a joke, which it is, so I'm getting all these extra gigs that can pay well, so my actual income can become quite nice .

Let's not forget, that I'm basically still doing my studies, so I'm getting PAID to do my studies, the difference now is, I'm starting to be paid well.

But I'll still switch to this one position if I'll get it. My professor knows I want to go to the private sector, so they're just upping the ante. So I'm shopping.

I want this job, it's mine already. I figure, maybe I'll ask for.. 40 euros per hour? I can't score 50 euros, that's something I know already, maybe 40 is OK?
                In da butt.

Comment

Yeah, that is one of my big plans is that using my SAP know-how and go into a bit of consultancy...I would earn far more than I am on now...I've seen how much they are paid...
                  Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Yeah, them people get paid pretty well.. even in here.
                    In da butt.

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                      Yeah, that is one of my big plans is that using my SAP know-how and go into a bit of consultancy...I would earn far more than I am on now...I've seen how much they are paid...
                      Feel free to talk to me if you're interested in working in consulting. I've been working for a consultancy firm for over a year now, and we're still looking for experienced people all over the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus
                        I thought this was another Apple thread.
                        QFT

Comment

Originally posted by Zopperoni

Feel free to talk to me if you're interested in working in consulting. I've been working for a consultancy firm for over a year now, and we're still looking for experienced people all over the world.
                          What is your firm consulting in? As in, what technology, branch, etc.

Comment

Practically everything, we do SAP, Siebel, Oracle, SAS, Aprimo, KXEN, Epiphany, Unica... as well as basic business consulting in fields as strategy, marketing, supply chain mgmt. Our client portfolio holds pretty much every major company in the world in all industries, financial, media, communications, chemicals, government, hospitality, the lot.

I've done projects for an insurance firm, a publisher, a petrochemicals company, and I'm now at a utility.

Comment

You mean to say you were promoted to do the storage detail?
                              In da butt.

Comment

Working...
                              X