No announcement yet.

Warp - any scientific take on it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually I'm surprised KH didn't correct me on a couple mistakes I made in my earlier explanations - specifically, that no amount of acceleration will actually move Event A from B's past to its future, and that B has to be outside A's light cone.

Comment

edit: wtf is the forum so slow

Comment

Actually I'm surprised KH didn't correct me on a couple mistakes I made in my earlier explanations - specifically, that no amount of acceleration will actually move Event A from B's past to its future, and that B has to be outside A's light cone.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
          I actually didn't bother reading it fully.
          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Killing it is the new killing it
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

What happens when two objects collide into each other if they are both traveling at 95% of C? Would the force of their collision happen at the speed at light, at 95% of the speed of light or at 190% of the speed of light?

Comment

Originally posted by korn469
              What happens when two objects collide into each other if they are both traveling at 95% of C? Would the force of their collision happen at the speed at light, at 95% of the speed of light or at 190% of the speed of light?
              You're basically asking what the relativistic addition of velocities is.

If, in the lab frame you have one body approaching from the left at u1 and one body approaching from the right at u2 then the formula (which is easily derived via the Lorentz transforms) is that an observer on either body sees the other approaching at:

(u1+u2)/(1+u1u2/c^2)

Which, it is easily demonstrable, can never exceed c for u1 and u2 less than c
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

For 0.95c the relative velocity of one wrt the other is 1.9/(1+0.95^2) = 99.87c
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

But my point is that the equations don't. e=mcsq has no "information term".

Let's say I have two dudes that are stationary. And I have a quantum thingie device that allows them to transmit info instantly (or faster than light). Now it only works between those two end points. And the endpoints are not moving wrt each other. Well, then how the heck does sending a message, mean that I can send messages back to myself in time? It doesn't.

Now, if there are other reasons why the quantum thingie can't exist fine. But not because of sending messages to myself back in time. Because, that device doesn't do that.

Comment

just like if you shine light through a diamond, it's less than C... bollocks. i have to leave for work. i'll add to this later.
                    I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                    [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                      For 0.95c the relative velocity of one wrt the other is 1.9/(1+0.95^2) = 99.87c
                      Assume the collision is inelastic and the bodies are same size and hit dead on. And all the KE (but none of the rest mass) is converted to heat. What's that going to be?

Comment

Originally posted by TCO
                        But my point is that the equations don't. e=mcsq has no "information term"
                        The point is that there is a more fundamental objection to FTL transfer of info than simple E=mc^2
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by TCO

Assume the collision is inelastic and the bodies are same size and hit dead on. And all the KE (but none of the rest mass) is converted to heat. What's that going to be?
                          Then you have to go to CM frame. That is the frame in which all KE will be converted to heat.

If both bodies have same mass and velocity in lab frame (equal and opposite) then the lab frame is CM frame and the amount converted to KE will be 2*(gamma-1)mc^2 with gamma measured in lab (i.e. CM frame).
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Mebbe so. But I don't get how the exact situation that I described allows info transfer to myself back in time.

Comment

Well, then how the heck does sending a message, mean that I can send messages back to myself in time? It doesn't.

That is correct. Without a boost at some point it doesn't work. But when you start to do boosts in the middle you end up ****ing up causality.
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

If everybody's at rest then of course relativity doesn't do anything. Relativity is only meaningful when you have to jump from one frame to another.
                                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                                X