Warp - any scientific take on it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Perfection
    Makes your eyes go crosseyed? As opposed to you ears going crosseyed?
    That only happens when it's delivered via audio media.

Comment

• Oh well you stick one end of the cable next near to some handy source of high gravity and watch as the cable ends move out of sync.

Womhole, cable, superman in a tube, it's all the same.
      APOSTOLNIK BEANIE BERET BICORNE BIRETTA BOATER BONNET BOWLER CAP CAPOTAIN CHADOR COIF CORONET CROWN DO-RAG FEDORA FEZ GALERO HAIRNET HAT HEADSCARF HELMET HENNIN HIJAB HOOD KABUTO KERCHIEF KOLPIK KUFI MITRE MORTARBOARD PERUKE PICKELHAUBE SKULLCAP SOMBRERO SHTREIMEL STAHLHELM STETSON TIARA TOQUE TOUPEE TRICORN TRILBY TURBAN VISOR WIG YARMULKE ZUCCHETTO

Comment

• Originally posted by Perfection
        Oh well you stick one end of the cable next near to some handy source of high gravity and watch as the cable ends move out of sync.

Womhole, cable, superman in a tube, it's all the same.
        that's what I figured. Even if it was ESP or the force or something the causality problem would still be encountered.

Comment

• Geronimo - assuming the non-wormhole in your example connects solely events A and B, it doesn't break causality because no second message can be sent FTL.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker
            Geronimo - assuming the non-wormhole in your example connects solely events A and B, it doesn't break causality because no second message can be sent FTL.
            I think he mean location A and B not events A and B.
            APOSTOLNIK BEANIE BERET BICORNE BIRETTA BOATER BONNET BOWLER CAP CAPOTAIN CHADOR COIF CORONET CROWN DO-RAG FEDORA FEZ GALERO HAIRNET HAT HEADSCARF HELMET HENNIN HIJAB HOOD KABUTO KERCHIEF KOLPIK KUFI MITRE MORTARBOARD PERUKE PICKELHAUBE SKULLCAP SOMBRERO SHTREIMEL STAHLHELM STETSON TIARA TOQUE TOUPEE TRICORN TRILBY TURBAN VISOR WIG YARMULKE ZUCCHETTO

Comment

• Hm.

Then it breaks, for the same reason regular FTL communication breaks.

Comment

• I'm sory to bother you guy's, but the diagrams on the previous pages, explaning why you can not go faster than C, without enabiling time-travel, I was wondering if I got them right. Is it right to imagine that 4D space-time has a constant maximum speed and if you wanted to go faster than C in 3D space your "speed" in the temporal dimention would be "negative"? Please don't mock me.
                I'm not buying BtS until Firaxis impliments the "contiguous cultural border negates colony tax" concept.

Comment

• 1. I still don't think there is a problem with instantaneous message info transfer from one fixed place to another (in terms of causality). Maybe there are other problems that make it impossible. But not "sending a message back to one's self in the past".

2. Even with the moving ships, I'm not seeing why instantaneous message transfer will allow to send a message back to one's self in the past:

A passes B. At that time B sends an instant message 100 light years to C. One minute later D passes C. At that time (of second passing), D (or C, it doesn't matter), sends an "instant message" back to A. A will now be one minutes run time (d=t/r) past A. That's where, when he gets it. He sends it right back to B. A gets it a minute after he sent it. Even though it traveled more than 200 light years in a minute, it did not go back in A's time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Geronimo

In the scenario you quoted there was no wormhole.

In any event I already acknowledged the practical objections to wormholes. This was addressing possible theoretical objections to wormholes being expected as a consequence of current trends in phyics. That is to say I was asking if its expected that large scale wormholes will be found to not be even theoretically possible.
                    If there was an obvious causality problem with wormholes I would probably know about it.
                    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Killing it is the new killing it
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                      Hm.

Then it breaks, for the same reason regular FTL communication breaks.
                      No, it doesn't...
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by TCO
                        1. I still don't think there is a problem with instantaneous message info transfer from one fixed place to another (in terms of causality). Maybe there are other problems that make it impossible. But not "sending a message back to one's self in the past".
                        You are completely wrong.

Unless you have declared a preferred frame (verboten by SR) then I gave you an example where ships only use FTL when at rest relative to one another.
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

1. I still don't think there is a problem with instantaneous message info transfer from one fixed place to another (in terms of causality). Maybe there are other problems that make it impossible. But not "sending a message back to one's self in the past".

2. Even with the moving ships, I'm not seeing why instantaneous message transfer will allow to send a message back to one's self in the past:

A passes B. At that time B sends an instant message 100 light years to C. One minute later D passes C. At that time (of second passing), D (or C, it doesn't matter), sends an "instant message" back to A. A will now be one minutes run time (d=t/r) past A.
                          Seriously, learn what the Lorentz transforms do or stop talking...
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• I think part of the problem is that you are invoking something that was already broken with the FTL assumption. My issue is not the FTL is impossible. It very well may be. And I admit to not knowing the math. My kvetech is with the sending messages back in the past to one's self comment. I just showed you how info is transferred 200+ light years in a minute. But that doesn't go back in time to one's self. It goes forward a minute.

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                              Read link. Experiment goes as follows:

A and B at rest. C and D travelling at same constant v relative to A and B.

D passes A at some time before A sends signal. C passes B at exact moment A sends signal to B. C sees B receive signal, sends signal to D. D receives signal when he passes A, before A even sends signal

WTFFFFF!!!!
                              NO. C sends the signal to D, sure. But D already passed A. You said that in the beginning. So it gets back to D, whereever D is now that he passed A.

Comment

I think part of the problem is that you are invoking something that was already broken with the FTL assumption
                                ?

All I'm presuming is Lorentz transforms
                                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                                X