New 7 Wonders Vote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GePap
    Why the hell are the Pyramids on that list? I think they are pretty secure on the "old" Wonders of the World list.
    Actually, Egypt is somewhat perturbed at being on a ballot. They've refused to meet with anyone associated with any of this voting.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Did you notice that the people running this vote are just self-appointed yahoos? No qualifications at all.

Comment

How is the Colosseum one? Or the Statue of Liberty?

I can buy the Pyramids being a Wonder of the World today, just as they were 1000s of years ago.

I also can buy this being some unimportant joke which everyone will forget about a couple years later.

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

If they are using the original seven wonders of the ancient world as the inspiration for this list or especially if they see this list as some sort of update of the original list then it's perfectly appropriate that things like statues would be on the list.

The original 7 wonders of the ancient world included the colossus of rhodes and the statue of zeus both of which were just lame statues.

In that case it would be surprising if no lame large modern statues made the list.

Comment

That's exactly what was said about Liberty.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Originally posted by Geronimo
              The original 7 wonders of the ancient world included the colossus of rhodes and the statue of zeus both of which were just lame statues.
              ROFLMAO

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva

Mmmm.. those Mayans sure liked their poultry
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Chicken Pizza
                  THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                  AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                  AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                  DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                    That's exactly what was said about Liberty.
                    when? just in general or do you mean something more specific?

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat

No offense, but that is only a minor bridge - great belt bridge is a more proper choice
                      Not to mention the new one we are going to build between Denmark and Germany. Now that is going to be a Bridge.

Asmodean
                      Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

The Saturn 5, damn it!
                        "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Originally posted by Geronimo
                          Why didn't those lame ancients build teh Golden Gate and go to teh moon!

Comment

The colossus of rode was an impressive statue back then (If I recall correctly it was about as big as the liberty´s statue)

but the liberty´s statue and jesus statue are not impressive, maybe if they were made of gold, or 300 metters tall.. but they arent
                            I need a foot massage

Comment

The Statue of Liberty was a gift of the French government to the United States to honor the ideals of freedom and independence. It was a very early gesture of national generosity. This huge statue became a symbol of hope and freedom for many hundreds of millions of people who immigrated to the United States during the 20th century to find a new life of peace and prosperity. It is also the one New7Wonders candidate that most closely resembles one of the Ancient 7 Wonders - The Colossus of Rhodes

This statue of Jesus stands some 38 meters tall, atop the Corcovado mountain overlooking Rio de Janeiro. Designed by Brazilian Heitor da Silva Costa and created by French sculptor Paul Landowski, it is one of the world’s best-known monuments. The statue took five years to construct and was inaugurated on October 12, 1931. It has become a symbol of the city and of the warmth of the Brazilian people, who receive visitors with open arms.

Comment

I find it weird that this endavour doesn't recognize the fact that the original 7 wonders of the world all represented the finest, not only in superb craftsmanship, but also stood as the pinnacle of what the ancients were capable of in terms of scientific and technical achievements.

The "modern" works on this list are all impressive pieces of art and/or architecture, but they do not even cone close to being at the limits of what human kind can achieve.

My own list of modern wonders would be more like:

The moon landings
                                The mapping of the human genome (allthough that work isn't complete yet)
                                Petronas Towers in Kuala Lumpur

Stuff like that. This "wonders project" is just another list of beautiful buildings.....

Asmodean
                                Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

Working...
                                X