Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are You Allowed to Talk About Your Salary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Spiffor
    (btw until today, I've never ever heard of a student employing a cleaning lady)
    In Santa Barbara's college district many landlords require students to maintain a cleaning service. The reason is the landlords have $1m properties which they don't want a bunch of 18-22 year olds turning into rat infested dumps. It isn't that expensive either since you can usually find a Mexican lady who runs a cleaning service willing to spend 2-3 hours a week (basically two days a week for 1-1.5 hours at a time) cleaning a house for around $100 per month. That's not bad when you split it four ways.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Originally posted by pchang

Being forbidden clearly had little effect on the actual dissemination of such knowledge.
      Well, when you are being asked to do the exact same work of people the parent company employees (in this case scanning and indexing), and getting paid a subcontracted company salary, it sucks if youre making 10k less. when youre vocal about it too, these things come out from the other employees.

It was worse before where the employees hadnt recieved raises in the past 2 years. if im not above 13 an hour at raise time (march) im out.
      "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
      'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

• Originally posted by DanS

The structure of the labor market leading to the high cost of unskilled labor.

For example, I pay my cleaning lady $170 per month to clean my place. She comes once every other week and spends probably 4 hours a time cleaning.
        You guys in DC need more illegal Mexicans to work as cleaning ladies.

Comment

• You aren't joking. We sure do.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Originally posted by Arrian
            I think that's roughly 1/5 of our monthy mortgage payment. I forget, because we overpay. I think the minimum monthly payment is ~$1200.
            My rent is 1500
            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Mine is $1300 for a studio

But the location is great
              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
              AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
              AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
              DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

• Originally posted by Pekka
                Why don't you just buy your own dog then and stop damaging the market?
                Because I work unpredictable hours and travel quite a bit. I would like nothing more than to be able to own a dog, but alas...
                THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

• Originally posted by Oerdin

Nonsense. You just need to pick the right science field.
                  Life sciences are generally underpaid.

The harder sciences are pretty good.
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• My rent is 1500

Jesus, dude. In Baltimore?
                    KH FOR OWNER!
                    ASHER FOR CEO!!
                    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• You can't get anything my wife would settle for for under 1300 or so in the city. The extra 200 is the fact that we live in the "trendiest" 3 blocks of baltimore.
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• I was on ~$120,000 about 8 years ago in London with plenty of scope for rapid improvement to that figure - but plenty of stress, long hours and a broken relationship or two...

Somewhere along the line I said **** that, went travelling round the world for a year, did a degree and ended up in Wales.

I earn comfortably less than that in salary (not including investments) - however I am willing to swap that for a 35hr stress-free week, a 20 minute walk to work and 37 days holiday a year...

For me quality of life will ALWAYS win over earnings - though if it wasn't for the money I used to make, I wouldn't be in the position I am today.
                        Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

• Oh, so the wife's preferences played a role. Still crazy, but makes more sense now.

I love that you live in the "trendy" part of Baltimore, btw...
                          KH FOR OWNER!
                          ASHER FOR CEO!!
                          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• It's fairly cool for 3-4 blocks around. Beyond that it's more like real Baltimore.
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• As a person who briefly lived in Baltimore back in the bad old days of the late 1980's I agree. You do not want to live in the "real" Baltimore.

Comment

• back in the bad old days of the late 1980's

Unlike other cities those never really went away here...
                                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                                X