Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are You Allowed to Talk About Your Salary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are You Allowed to Talk About Your Salary?

I think comparing different countries is one of the greatest features of forums, so here's another one...

In my country, many and perhaps most employment contracts have a clause which defines salary as secret information and, theoretically, disclosing it can get you fired.

How is it in your neck of woods?

Apparently, I'm not supposed to talk about mine with my co-workers (but nobody cares if we do).
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

You can but it's generally not a good idea.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Yes, it's allowed at my firm. It's not that we boast about it, but when asked by recruitment candidates, I just tell them the truth.

Comment

On the contrary, it's a great idea. It disseminates very important information and lowers the bargaining power of the employer, the only party who benefits from such clauses. It would be much easier to get a raise if you knew that someone with status similar to yours just got one.

Comment

As a government employee, my pay range is public record. ==But I don't like to talk about it.

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion

On the contrary, it's a great idea. It disseminates very important information and lowers the bargaining power of the employer, the only party who benefits from such clauses. It would be much easier to get a raise if you knew that someone with status similar to yours just got one.
              Can also lead to discord in the workplace, even when the difference is meritocratic and not bargaining power due to non-transparency. IF you are better than your peers and get recognised for better performance through salary it can lead to jealousy against you if it is public record.
              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Re: Are You Allowed to Talk About Your Salary?

[SIZE=1] Originally posted by VetLegion

In my country, many and perhaps most employment contracts have a clause which defines salary as secret information and, theoretically, disclosing it can get you fired.

How is it in your neck of woods?

That provision seems draconian and I find it hard to believe that they would enforce it against skilled employees unless they wanted a downsizing.

No such provision here. The corp keeps salaries confidential (ranges may be available or the salaries of senior execs disclosed at shareholder meetings) but generally its up to the individual what they tell others.

I generally don't share with people in my company. I do share with friends at other companies at similar levels
                You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

But have you noticed that, when you're on a job interview, one of the first things you're asked is how much you make.

Comment

Most good companies shouldn't need to ask that. They should ask how much you are expecting if anything, and only towards the end.

Comment

In general

I agree with VetLegion about disclosing salary levels. I will tell anyone who asks.
                      “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Re: In general

Originally posted by pchang
                        I agree with VetLegion about disclosing salary levels. I will tell anyone who asks.
                        How much are you earning?

Comment

Last year

I made over $200,000
                          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

It's not normally defined as secret here. Unless I'm mistaken, the pay range of government employees has to be available on request. That said, it's generally considered rude to ask people about their salary. People may divulge that to good friends, but, except with people who know each other really well, it's vulgar to ask.
                            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

I make ~20k

JM
                              Jon Miller-
                              I AM.CANADIAN
                              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Working...
                              X