No announcement yet.

Russia slams Estonia statue move

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is just another of a myriad of manifestations of Russias post-imperial insecurity/anxiety. It will pass.

This affair also irritating to Russians as it is a subject that has sacred meaning in the Russian psyche, namely, the Great Patriotic War (as they call their part of WW2 against Germany), which is somewhat unwise, imho.
    Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
    Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
    Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Originally posted by Saras
      This is just another of a myriad of manifestations of Russias post-imperial insecurity/anxiety. It will pass.

This affair also irritating to Russians as it is a subject that has sacred meaning in the Russian psyche, namely, the Great Patriotic War (as they call their part of WW2 against Germany), which is somewhat unwise, imho.
      Yes. It is kind of like, say, the French relocating dead American troops to somewhere less obvious because of present-day politics. It will certainly continue the strain of relations between Russia, its people, and the West in general.
      Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
      Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Originally posted by Tacc

Yes. It is kind of like, say, the French relocating dead American troops to somewhere less obvious because of present-day politics. It will certainly continue the strain of relations between Russia, its people, and the West in general.
        Its not like that at all, The US did not "liberate" the French and then annex them as the SU did.

It would appear that the balts regard the SU in the same light as the Nazi's i.e people who invaded theri country and oppressed them.

The French might argue with the Yanks but it isn't because they have a history of being opressivley occupied by them
        Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
        Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Well, considering Finland was an Axis nation....
          Co-Belligerent.

(Like said, hard to stay neutral in that climate, and old Joe had allready attacked us...)

Estonia
          I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

It would appear that the balts regard the SU in the same light as the Nazi's i.e people who invaded theri country and oppressed them.

Exactly, that's the way it's usually seen - that the countries were not liberated, but rather traded one occupational regime for another. Who knows, maybe if the Soviet Union actually drove the Germans out of the Baltics and then respected & protected their sovereignty, the relations would be much better now.
            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Right, and what these small countries usually remember is the fact, that Nazi Germany and SU also kind of split the cake and thought they should share it between themselves. Just because Hitler backstabbed Stalin doesn't mean we think Stalin is so much better. One way or the other, these small nations would have been gotten some abuse, but in this case, they got abused by BOTH parties, and now somehow there's an outcry for 'Balts are nazi symphatizers'.

This is difficult for many to understand, but that outcry is coming from a group, that is regarded pretty much the equivalent of nazis. So you there's no really favourites, it's all the same, but different slogans shouted.

THis is NOT to say that when talkinga bout SU or Russia today, that they are regarded as Stalin. This is all related to those days and the groups that were in place THEN, not NOW. The revisionist history telling is also not a favourite of these small nations (victims of both parties, not just one). I do remember rhetorics, where some baltic nations were seeking for admitting, that SU occupied their lands. Should that much be admitted, they could have come and joined the victory day celebrations Putin held, but since the answer was 'How can we occupy lands that belong to us', well, you can agree with that argument, or you can appreciate the situation these countries were in and kind of relate that to the reality, and disagree with it.
              In da butt.
              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
              THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
              "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Never pass up good statuary advise. Remember, buy low, sell high. Adolf is turning...trendy.
                Long time member @ Apolyton
                Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

now somehow there's an outcry for 'Balts are nazi symphatizers'.

Russia feels that way because the Balts are anti-Soviet, hence they "must" be Nazi sympathizers. Additionally, there is this fairly controversial practice by some of the Baltic populations to honour those who served in the German SS. It's fairly controversial indeed - the logic is that those who support these SS legionaries support not the fact that they were SS, but the fact that they fought against the Soviet army, which, in turn, was the occupying force later.
                  Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                  I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Re: Russia slams Estonia statue move

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Surprise! Some Baltic republic is dishonouring the Soviet citizens who fought and died so that Estonia would become soviet republic instead of being independant.
                    corrected
                    "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                    I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                    Middle East!

Comment

Isn't there like a little rump of Russia that is not connected to the rest of the country, but is in the Baltic. Why don't the Latvuanonians occupy it?

Comment

Re: Re: Russia slams Estonia statue move

Why don't the Latvuanonians occupy it?

They didn't want it, so it went to the RSFSR.

Comment

not true... I think Lithuania wouldn't mind it. And Poland wanted it too. Both had historical claims. But Stalin decided Russia people should get some trophy, and a non-freezing baltic port would be good for USSR.

Today, it is full of weaponry... and of aids.
                          "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                          I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                          Middle East!

Comment

Originally posted by Heresson
                            not true... I think Lithuania wouldn't mind it.
                            Lithuania rejected annexing the region because they claimed it was too devestated.

And Poland wanted it too.

The Soviet Union annexed the area, and Poland was not a part of the Soviet Union.

Today, it is full of weaponry... and of aids.
                            just like russia

Comment

Originally posted by TCO
                              Isn't there like a little rump of Russia that is not connected to the rest of the country, but is in the Baltic?
                              Yeah. East Prussia. It's where the Soviets ethnically cleansed the Germans who lived there, destroyed all the architecture, and renamed Königsberg Kaliningrad to honor some party hack. They turned the home of Kant and Herder into the cesspool of Europe, with some of the highest crime and AIDS rates on the continent. Other than that its a great place to live.
                              I'm about to get aroused from watching the pokemon and that's awesome. - Pekka

Comment

Do you speak about Kaliningrad? It belongs to Hermania anyway

edit: wah too late
                                Blah

Comment

Working...
                                X