Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lord of the mark
    You support the rights of settlers?
    Yes. Of them being not second-class citizens, now that the country is established and working.
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Saras
      Who doesn't?
      It was a disclaimer to Tassi, who'd call me a Russia-hater otherwise.
      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor

Yes. Of them being not second-class citizens, now that the country is established and working.
        So if the Estonians had tossed them out back in '91 that would have been cool?
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

You support the rights of settlers?
          good catch

Comment

Russia has even threatened sanctions with regard to this move. Quite ridiculous - legally speaking, the Estonians are within their rights to do whatever they want here. The statue is in Estonia, and it's not like they are ordering all Russian flags removed from the country or something.

In reality, Russia is bitter that it has completely lost control of the Baltic countries, and it's quite pissed about the fact that Russia is hated by the people of the Baltics.
            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Sanctions because of a statue?

Silly Russians.

-Arrian
              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Is it just me is Estonia's anthem way better than Russia's?
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Damn sovereignty, even the former colonies do what they want now!
                  Blah

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                    Is it just me is Estonia's anthem way better than Russia's?
                    Gah. You were extremely close to catching me.
                    Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                    Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

So if the Estonians had tossed them out back in '91 that would have been cool?
                      No. But it would have been understandable.
                      I hold established countries to higher standards than establishing ones (or than pre-countries)

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor

No. But it would have been understandable.
                        I hold established countries to higher standards than establishing ones (or than pre-countries)
                        Im not speaking so much of the actions of countries, as of the attitudes of some people toward human beings demonized because they are "settlers"

I certainly believe that it was prudent for Israel to remove the settlers from Gaza. And that it will be prudent for Israel to remove the settlers from those portions of the West Bank that will end up in a Pal state (IE excluding those in Maaleh Adumim and several others) What I dont much like is the attitude expressed here that settlers as a group are less than human, that violence against them is excusable, that their very existence is such an act of aggression that concern for the safety and sympathy at their plight, is a sign of incipient fascism.

Im glad to see that you seem to share my feelings.
                        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Estonia should invite the Germans in to protect them from the Russians.
                          Long time member @ Apolyton
                          Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Putin would be poopin.

Comment

Estonia needs boomers, all the Baltic countries need boomers chock full of nuke tipped ICBMs to keep the peace. If they had those they could put up a statue of Adolf in its place and thumb their noses at Putin.

Besides, there's likely not much call for statues of Adolf anymore, at least outside of Austria. Prolly pick one up cheap. Liven up any courtyard.
                              Long time member @ Apolyton
                              Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

It's a statue, for silly sakes. Moving a statue does not mean ousting the "settlers." As to Russian sanctions, how dependent is Estonia on Russian economic relations? Incidentally, most Estonians don't think much of Hitler either. So I wouldn't be buying any Adolph statues for resale in Tallinn (sp?).
                                No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                                "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Working...
                                X