Russia slams Estonia statue move

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russia slams Estonia statue move

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Surprise! Some Baltic republic is dishonouring the Soviet citizens who fought and died so that Estonia wouldn't become "living space" for the Germans.

Though it is curious that Russia is criticising Estonia for moving toward Neo-Nazism, given recent trends.
    Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
    Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Nazis everywhere.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

The Estonians are right to remove this statue. This statue isn't a commemoration toward a friendly people that came to help. It's a symbol of occupation and oppression.
      Let the hatred die down, and then let the Estonians build something in memory to all those who fought against nazism. That kind of monument only has a meaning if it comes from the Estonians themselves.

And I support the rights of the Estonian russophone minority.
      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Stalin or Hitler

some choice
        Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
        Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
          You support the rights of settlers?
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Stalin or Hitler

some choice
            QFT.

-Arrian
            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

By late autumn 1944, the entire Estonian territory had again been occupied by the Red Army. Although the Western countries did not recognise the annexation of the Baltic states de jure, they were not prepared to take action, being unwilling to confront the Soviet Union. Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania were the only countries whose independence was not restored at the end of the war, not even in the form of the so called people’s democracies of the Soviet Union’s Central and East European satellite states.

The annexation immediately resulted in another wave of Red Terror: arrests, executions, deportations and other brutal violations of human rights. This time the main pretext for persecution was service in the German army or in local government during the German occupation period. Between 1945 and 1959, 75 000 people suffered repressive measures, 19 000 of them were executed or perished. All Germans and sectarians were deported from Estonia; a whole generation was deprived of the opportunity to lead a normal life, even by Soviet standards. The key positions in local administrative systems were given to Russians and Russian Estonians.

Within three years, 1944–1947, a new Soviet land reform was enacted. On the re-nationalised land, completely inefficient small farms and state farms — sovkhozes — were established, or the land was left to lie fallow. The aim of the reform was to drive a wedge between the different layers of the Estonian rural population and to gain support for the new regime.

The entire Estonian economy was integrated into the Soviet empire’s economic complex that was developed on the basis of five-year plans. The private sector was almost completely eliminated. The Soviet authorities were especially keen to restore and expand Estonian heavy industry and mining: Moscow needed the northeastern oil shale mines and power stations, especially to supply the Leningrad area with electricity, oil shale gas and various articles of basic consumption. Another aim of Moscow was to tie Estonia hand and foot to Russia by encouraging mass immigration of labour. Non-Estonian workers were despatched to Estonia from different regions of the Soviet Union; many arrived voluntarily.

In order to boost colonisation, some areas were closed to Estonians. For example, the people of Narva were not allowed to return to their severely damaged home town; the same fate was suffered by the people of Paldiski, the Soviet naval base. Dozens of Soviet military bases were established in the annexed Estonia. After retirement (often at a young age), servicemen usually stayed in Estonia.

Between 1945 and 1950, 170 000 mostly Russian-speaking immigrants arrived in Estonia. After that, 20 000–30 000 people were added, and 15 000–20 000 returned to the east each year. A number of new factories, mines and power stations were built; their production went eastwards. Industrial waste and the non-indigenous workers with a foreign cultural background, temperament and daily customs remained in Estonia.

This was supposed to turn the Estonians into a minority nation in their own homeland, and ensure their Russification.

Not all the post-war changes were, however, negative. Health care, for example, soon improved and this resulted in the decrease of the infant mortality rate and the increase of average life expectancy. The educational prospects for young people from rural areas also improved, thanks to the establishment of a network of boarding schools.

source: http://www.estonica.org/eng/lugu.htm...alam=61&leht=5
              Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
              Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
              Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

That's a nazi source. Figures, coming from a Balt..
                In da butt.
                "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                  That's a nazi source. Figures, coming from a Balt..
                  Doesn't Finland share an anthem with Estonia, sir?
                  Oh....well, I guess it makes sense

Comment

Yeah. Everyone is a nazi. It only makes perfect sense.
                    In da butt.

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                      Yeah. Everyone is a nazi. It only makes perfect sense.
                      Well, considering Finland was an Axis nation....

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                        Who doesn't?
                        Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                        Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                        Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

good on estonia.
                          "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Just more bullying out of Russia. In the Baltics the Soviet Union (which mostly means Russian Imperialists) is seen as a hated occupier. The Estonians don't think the location of the Soviet era monument to the Red Army is in an appropriate place given how the vast majority of Estonians hate the the Red Army. The would like to move it some where further away from the capital buildings into a less central place.
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Good for Estonia. The Germans should tear down the one in Berlin on 17 June street as well.

Soviet War Memorial
                              Last edited by Wycoff; January 18, 2007, 13:05.
                              I'm about to get aroused from watching the pokemon and that's awesome. - Pekka

Comment

Working...
                              X