X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Que ?
    "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

This actually shows that the French have, ever since ww2 been reallty upset they are not a top world power and have been depseratley hunting for someone to team up with.
      Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
      Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

You simply cannot put two such nationalist entities, as they then were, together and expect them to get along.
        Another good reason to consign nationalism to the dustbin of history where it belongs.

Comment

Sandman:

The nation state has had it's uses. Time to get it over width.
          "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

however national (or 'national') identities are as strong as ever. you'd think someone from belgium would recognise that.
            "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Nationalism
              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
              AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
              AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
              DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by Sprayber

By the time you guys get it right, you will all be speaking Arabic anyway..
                So may we all. Oy vey.

Comment

lordshiva

nationalism
                  "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Internationalism
                    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

English is 30% French isn't it? So in a way you already are Franglais. Pity you don't like each other enough to make the Chunnel profitable though.
                      "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

The Chunnel is profitable, it's the debt mountain faced by the operating company that makes it loss-making. Declare insolvency and phoenix the assets and that is a prime piece of corporation you have there...

On the topic, I thought this was all old news, I remember hearing this stuff during the centenary of the entente cordiale.
                        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

English is 30% French isn't it? So in a way you already are Franglais. Pity you don't like each other enough to make the Chunnel profitable though.
                          I doubt if it's a high as 30%, but it's a lot.

Any word ending in "tion" is from French.

A lot of food words (beef, pork, mutton, poultry) are because the Norman overlords ordered their Anglo-Saxon serfs to bring them these foods.

Legal phrases tend to be duplicated ("null and void") with one being from Anglo-Saxon and the other being from French.

Comment

in fact, the vast majority of our language is french, but most of the words you use everyday are germanic in origin.

Comment

French? Latin, ultimately, certainly. French may be the largest single contributor but it is debatable whether it can lay claim to the vast majority.
                              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
                                The Chunnel is profitable, it's the debt mountain faced by the operating company that makes it loss-making. Declare insolvency and phoenix the assets and that is a prime piece of corporation you have there...

On the topic, I thought this was all old news, I remember hearing this stuff during the centenary of the entente cordiale.
                                I thought this was new, it is widely known that Churchill offered union to France just before the fall of France in ww2
                                Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
                                Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Working...
                                X