Were we nearly les franglais?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    English is 30% French isn't it? So in a way you already are Franglais. Pity you don't like each other enough to make the Chunnel profitable though.
    IIRC words dirived from French and church Latin make up over half the language.

Comment

Yeah, but it doesn't mean we use that many of those words in every day language.
      "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
      -Joan Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
        The Chunnel is profitable, it's the debt mountain faced by the operating company that makes it loss-making. Declare insolvency and phoenix the assets and that is a prime piece of corporation you have there...
        Ah, so one can make it profitable by not paying for it?

Comment

Rather, make it profitable by not having ridiculous capital financing.
          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Naw. That was ridiculous financing.

What is ridiculous is the loan default cases I see everday where some yoyo agreed to pay 20 or 25% interest on a car loan or 50 or 55% on a signature loan. I'd like to shoot the lenders and slap the borrowers in the face with a large fish.

Comment

These "let's merge our nations" ideas are really lame. And of course they never work.

If they, did, Quadaffi would now own half of north Africa. He made merger offers to Algeria, Tunisia and Tchad in the late 70's and early 80's. One was accepted and lasted for about a month, IIRC.
              "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
              George Orwell

Comment

I need a foot massage

Comment

Working...
                X