Windfarms are POINTLESS!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windfarms are POINTLESS!

Windfarms truly are economically pointless. They are unable to respond to power demand, and only blow at the times of the year when power spot prices are low (windy conditions in winter are mild and hence the system is less tight, windy conditions in summer are cooler and hence the system is less tight).
    www.my-piano.blogspot

This thread is POINTLESS!
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

This is why more credible supporters of alternative energy sources (instead of fossil fuels or nuclear power) also try to push the idea of upgrading our energy distribution networks (the powerlines et al). A sunny day in on area could help offset a calm windless day in another, with existing power plants (like the belcher plants of oil and coal) picking up any slack.
      The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Originally posted by DRoseDARs
        This is why more credible supporters of alternative energy sources (instead of fossil fuels or nuclear power) also try to push the idea of upgrading our energy distribution networks (the powerlines et al). A sunny day in on area could help offset a calm windless day in another, with existing power plants (like the belcher plants of oil and coal) picking up any slack.
        Do you realise what sort of investment it would necessitate in order to keep the line losses below 10-20%?
        www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Depends on their location. The wind blows here year-round.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Cause Oklahoma sucks?

ACK!
            Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Well, the longer the energy industry and the federal government hem and hah and whine about the costs, the more expensive it's going to get...

Only naive idealists have ever believed that pure solar or pure wind power could ever meet the needs of large population centers any time even remotely soon. Fixing the power dist. networks by just replacing aging lines with modern lines (not futuristic super-conductive lines made of unobtanium) would go a long way to offsetting power needs. That region wide power failure in the Northeast US/Canada might not have been so wide-spread had the lines been replaced like people had been shouting for for years.

Progress isn't cheap. Talk is.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                They still aren't responsive to demand.
                www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

The supply is there no matter the demand. You can't store it, but it's still there.

And yes, Tubes.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                    It's been suggested that 100 square miles (10 miles x 10 miles to envision alternatively) of southern Nevada desert covered in solar panels could easily meet the power needs of the entire US. I don't know if I believe that, and it would be damned expensive, but it isn't inconceivable (Nevada may not be a nuclear wasteland, but much of it is a plain old wasteland ... Dis has probably seen the bumperstickers ). Solar panels mandated on every new building built in the United States, wind farms in rural areas, and similar measures could easily be implemented if people would stop whining about it all.

Comment

I'm a big proponent of wind, and solar. I think we've been morons not to develop it before now.

Comment

Is it Aspergers, Doddler? I'm just curious what the cause is of this anti-environmentalist fixation you appear to have.
                        "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                        "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                        "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by Kontiki
                          Is it Aspergers, Doddler? I'm just curious what the cause is of this anti-environmentalist fixation you appear to have.
                          I'm a moderate environmentalist. I don't however favour white elephant projects that are't economically feasible or environmentally sound.
                          www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

There's a difference between not favoring something and being seemingly obsessed with it.
                            "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                            "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                            "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

We could sharpen the tips of the blades more. Of course it might reduce the efficiency of the turbines, in which case, what would be the point?

Comment

Working...
                              X