No announcement yet.

Rolling up Al Qaeda in Somalia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They are nothing without Ethiopia, Nothing!

Fellow landlocked nation! may you get a sea port
    !
    I need a foot massage

Comment

Well done to to Ethiopia. Just like Afghanistan, when you want results, don't use American troops.

Comment

It's good to hear of the occasional successes in the Global War on Terrorism (TM, Republican Party, September 2001).

Gatekeeper
        "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

I will wait to see who they actually killed...

Hopefully they killed at least some AQ this time.
          "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

When this news broke earlier, CNN had it live, but MSNBC and FOXNews carried on with regular programming. I find this surprising.
            http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

So, what's the reaction inside Somalia? Given the demonstrations against Ethiopian presence, I find it hard to believe most Somalis are very happy about American strikes inside their borders.
              Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
              The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

LC, they are more happy with AQ?
                http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Originally posted by Ned
                  LC, they are more happy with AQ?
                  Wouldn't surprise me, but I don't know, hence I'm asking.

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                  The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

I think the problem with this "people support" kind of argument is that in places like Somalia, there is no free press to inform the people of what actually is going on and there is no way to find out what the people actually think. There are just warlords of one flavor or another in charge here or there, and religious Imams who preach hate.

I suspect the people just want to stay clear of any actual fighting.

Comment

Originally posted by dannubis
                      I will wait to see who they actually killed...

Hopefully they killed at least some AQ this time.
                      AQ's #2, obviously
                      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist

Wouldn't surprise me, but I don't know, hence I'm asking.
                        I've read a lengthy article in Le Monde about it. Apparently, people were very tired with the Muslim Courts, who were pretty much as foreign as the Ethiopians (many many whites in their ranks: Arabs, Pakistanis and some westerners). The Muslim Courts were culturally alien to Somalia, and the initial sympathy they got for them, by restoring order in an otherwise anarchic country, quickly faded out because of all their moralistic laws that go contrary to traditional Somalian morals, and because of their brutal enforcement of said laws. As a result, the local population didn't provide any support to the Muslim Courts during the war, which made the war much easier for the Ethiopian invader.

OTOH, the Ethiopians are an age-old enemy. Their presence is somewhat tolerated, but it will last very little. If Ethiopia was to become an occupation force, it'll have to suffer the wrath from the local population. Everybody calls for a UN or AU peacekeeping force as fast as possible.
                        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Thanks, Spiff.

Originally posted by Spiffor
                          Apparently, people were very tired with the Muslim Courts, who were pretty much as foreign as the Ethiopians (many many whites in their ranks: Arabs, Pakistanis and some westerners)
                          Totally tangential, but I thought I'd mention that to the average Swedish racist, Arabs, Pakistanis, and Somalis are just one undifferentiated mass of "blackheads". The world's xenophobes should come up with a common set of definitions.

Comment

Spiff, even in Afghanistan, most people were more than upset with the extreme Islamism being forced down their throats by the Taliban. This is one of the reasons the overthrow of the Taliban was so easy.

Comment

I have yet to decide if this is a good or bad event. We don't even know if they hit the right target, or if most of the victims were "Average Mr Sammy" rather than AQ.

But I believe it's good Apolyton manners to avoid celebration about deaths, no matter who died, so I won't.
                              So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                              Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Originally posted by Ned
                                Spiff, even in Afghanistan, most people were more than upset with the extreme Islamism being forced down their throats by the Taliban. This is one of the reasons the overthrow of the Taliban was so easy.
                                You didn't overthrow the Taliban, you just moved their bases.
                                So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                                Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Working...
                                X