Loose Letters Sink ... Freedom?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Oerdin
    They'll get tossed. The constitution spells out how the President can veto a bill but it doesn't mention signing statements where the President can accept some parts of the bill but ignore others. Bush has way over reached on this and eventually the courts will toss it out. It will take time though.

Exactly how are the courts going to tell him to stop again?

Comment

Re: Re: Loose Letters Sink ... Freedom?

Originally posted by BlackCat

I seriously doubt that you can remember such a time -
      Actually, just 1977, as far as domestic mail goes, but they had to get a warrant after the fact within 72 hours. This isn't about Customs.

This was a result of the CIA's abuse of the postal service during the 50s, 60s and 70s.
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

This is about a piece of mail from the Philippines, che.

Comment

The law and the signing statement aren't, though.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

Exactly how are the courts going to tell him to stop again?
            All it takes is someone who's had their mail opened without a search warrant, or had their conversation tapped without a warrant, or had their e-mail searched without a warrant to sue claiming it violates their 4th amendment rights.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

They'll get tossed. The constitution spells out how the President can veto a bill but it doesn't mention signing statements where the President can accept some parts of the bill but ignore others. Bush has way over reached on this and eventually the courts will toss it out. It will take time though.

In actuality the exigent circumstances exception is well precedented in the ability to warrantlessly search premises and persons. I see little difference in the application to mail and parcels particularly when it comes to diffusing mail bombs or the like where time is of the essence.

But I figured I would post the article in post 4 (instead of Drake ) simply to reinforce delusions of paranoia. Seems it worked.
              "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Originally posted by Tattila the Hun
                I think it has allways been like this, just so happens, if you attach the words "Homeland Security" into it, it becomes an afront to our rights.
                God I hope they attach "Homeland Security" to speeding tickets, I'm getting sick of those damn things...
                Unbelievable!

Comment

All it takes is someone who's had their mail opened without a search warrant, or had their conversation tapped without a warrant, or had their e-mail searched without a warrant to sue claiming it violates their 4th amendment rights.
                  Apologies, I thought you were referring to the general practice of signing statements.

Comment

Working...
                  X